• In total there are 43 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Is God the epitome of both good and evil?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Re: Is God the epitome of both good and evil?

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote:
Movie Nerd wrote:Between your attacks pertaining to my dad's background, to your saying I said I was a secular chaplain when I ddin't, I am getting a little tired of my words being twisted around.
Sorry Nerd, My mistake.
You expressed an interest in becoming a secular chaplain a while back.
I just wondered if a secular chaplain could be a theist.
But you didn't say you were a secular chaplain so you are right to correct me there. I wasn't deliberately twisting your words,but I unintentionally put it incorrectly. I should have said you spoke of interest in becoming a secular chaplain and not that you spoke of being one.
I was interested in what it was, yes.

I don't know if a secular chaplain could be a theist; theists could be against the power of religion in society and could be for secular values. In that instance, they could be into secular chaplaincy.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Unread post

Movie Nerd wrote:
Flann 5 wrote:
Movie Nerd wrote:Between your attacks pertaining to my dad's background, to your saying I said I was a secular chaplain when I ddin't, I am getting a little tired of my words being twisted around.
Sorry Nerd, My mistake.
You expressed an interest in becoming a secular chaplain a while back.
I just wondered if a secular chaplain could be a theist.
But you didn't say you were a secular chaplain so you are right to correct me there. I wasn't deliberately twisting your words,but I unintentionally put it incorrectly. I should have said you spoke of interest in becoming a secular chaplain and not that you spoke of being one.
I was interested in what it was, yes.

I don't know if a secular chaplain could be a theist; theists could be against the power of religion in society and could be for secular values. In that instance, they could be into secular chaplaincy.
This guy is likely what a secular or atheist chaplain might look like.

There are also atheist churches popping up and their leaders could likely be called secular chaplains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oe6HUgrRlQ

Regards
DL
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Gnostic Bishop wrote:This guy is likely what a secular or atheist chaplain might look like.

There are also atheist churches popping up and their leaders could likely be called secular chaplains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oe6HUgrRlQ

Regards
DL
Thanks for the info.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Just to elaborate on some issues from another thread which may be more appropriate here in relation to the calamitous judgement on Jerusalem at the time of the Babylonian siege.
Shocking as the judgement surely is, I think it is responsible to present things in context and not with total disregard for it.

So we find in Jeremiah19;3-5 for example, that not only did they turn to pagan gods they also burned their own children in the fire in sacrifice to them.
And even when the Babylonians were at the gates in Jeremiah 21;3-10 God warned them of the outcome should they stubbornly resist and disregard the words of the prophets. A final choice was presented in these words."Now you shall say to this people.'Thus says The Lord."Behold I set before you the way of life and the way of death.
He who remains in this city shall die by the sword,by famine and by pestilence,but he who goes out and defects to the Chaldeans who besiege you,he shall live and his life shall be as a prize to him."
So following many warnings that he would bring the Babylonians in judgement on their sins if they did not repent, when the Babylonians do lay siege they have a final chance to accept captivity rather than what God warned would happen.
Those who continued in rebellion against God disregarding the warnings of Jeremiah who had told them the Babylonians would come in the first place could not blame God for the warned consequences of their sins.
Of course had they turned from sin in the first place none of this would have happened.
So, shocking as it is, I think it is fair to provide context and not just selectively sling out passages so as to say "Look how evil Jehovah is."
Last edited by Flann 5 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

TheGreatUnruffledOne wrote:Speak for yourself. Every Sunday I dress up in my urban camo and stalk the streets with my rubber band gun looking for bible thumpers. Whenever I see one chanting on a corner I shoot him in the butt til he flees.
:lol: that got a laugh :lol: :thanks2:
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

look how great Jehovah is
"Now you shall say to this people.'Thus says The Lord."Behold I set before you the way of life and the way of death.
He who remains in this city shall die by the sword,by famine and by pestilence,but he who goes out and defects to the Chaldeans who besiege you,he shall live and his life shall be as a prize to him."
i'm surprised Judas got such a bad rep, after all he only defected.

BTW if Judas hadn't betrayed Jeesypoofs (as he likes to be called) (sorry tiredness always sends me a little OTT) erm if Judas hadn't betrayed Jesus would christians be up the proverbial creek without a saviour?

what i mean is, could it be that Judas was only serving YHWH after all

King David the sweet psalmster says
25 I have been young, and now am old; Yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, Nor his seed begging bread.
i guess he didn't get out much, i've seen it more times than i care to remember, or could he be talking mythologically, poetically?
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

youkrst wrote:look how great Jehovah is
"Now you shall say to this people.'Thus says The Lord."Behold I set before you the way of life and the way of death.

BTW if Judas hadn't betrayed Jeesypoofs (as he likes to be called) (sorry tiredness always sends me a little OTT) erm if Judas hadn't betrayed Jesus would christians be up the proverbial creek without a saviour?

25 I have been young, and now am old; Yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, Nor his seed begging bread.
i guess he didn't get out much, i've seen it more times than i care to remember, or could he be talking mythologically, poetically?
The thing with Judas always bothered me. He was almost destined to be damned, to be a betrayer, and to me that isn't right. There was no free will.
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

Sop.

1. a thing given or done as a concession of no great value to appease someone whose main concerns or demands are not being met.
"my agent telephones as a sop but never finds me work"

Jesus' demands were not being met.

Jesus more or less begs Judas to turn him in as the rest of the disciples just sit back and do nothing. If that is not suicide then ----------

This clip show that well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUICRzM9ZNU

Regards
DL
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

Movie Nerd wrote:

The thing with Judas always bothered me. He was almost destined to be damned, to be a betrayer, and to me that isn't right. There was no free will.
The thing with pre-ordination is that to position one player. all players have to be manipulated and no one ends up with a free will.

You cannot just move one piece on the chess board if you are setting up a win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krRh4UHwup4

God has to ultimately take the blame for Jesus dying because Jesus was chosen even before the earth and the potential for sin was created.

That's scripture.

Regards
DL
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

A question for Bishop and Youkrst.
Who wrote the four gospels?
Thanks.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”