• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What are you currently reading?

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DianeD+
Getting Comfortable

Re: What are you currently reading?

Unread post

Decided to investigate the realm of women's literature for a big change and read C. Lynn Murphy's The First Noble Truth anticipating a light read about women's friendship - I was wrong; it's a lot more - more depth, more angst, much more psychology than I was anticipating. Thankfully, being a psych major, I like these elements - and, I like being surprised - so it all worked out.

It takes a while for one to realize that this story is actually being told from the viewpoints of two very different women: Japanese rural teacher Machiko, whose compulsion to self-injure reflects deeper traumas in her life, and that of Krista, whose life holds equally somber tones of danger and pain.

It's a read recommended not for light leisure pursuit, but for those who seek the gems of literary brilliance in the trappings of everyday lives.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

"The Burning Room" (a Harry Bosch novel) by Michael Connelly.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

DianeD+ wrote:Decided to investigate the realm of women's literature for a big change and read C. Lynn Murphy's The First Noble Truth anticipating a light read about women's friendship - I was wrong; it's a lot more - more depth, more angst, much more psychology than I was anticipating. Thankfully, being a psych major, I like these elements - and, I like being surprised - so it all worked out.
For great psychological elements in women's fiction (if you're into that sort of thing), a couple of writers to look for are Zenna Henderson and Kate Chopin. The former wrote a series of stories concerning alien beings called The People, who landed out in the midwest and live almost Amish-type lives; imagine Little House on the Prairie with extraterrestrials who have special powers. The later deals with women's issues in the late 1800's; she was a feminist way ahead of her time. Both are women writers who deal with real emotions, whether they be young adolescents or middle aged women.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
DianeD+
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Oh, I LOVED Zenna Henderson!!!!!!!!! I still have her paperbacks (The Anything Box, The People: No Different Flesh, etc.). I've heard of Kate Chopin - I should try to read her again...back in high school when she was first presented to me, I couldn't relate to her.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

DianeD+ wrote:Oh, I LOVED Zenna Henderson!!!!!!!!! I still have her paperbacks (The Anything Box, The People: No Different Flesh, etc.). I've heard of Kate Chopin - I should try to read her again...back in high school when she was first presented to me, I couldn't relate to her.
Kate Chopin can be a little hard for some to relate to, but she can also bring in new and interesting ideas. I have the complete People stories anthology by Henderson; she's the greatest.
Hal Henry
Master Debater

Unread post

BRANDO'S SMILE: His Life, Thought, and Work...by Susan L. Mizruchi
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Hal Henry wrote:BRANDO'S SMILE: His Life, Thought, and Work...by Susan L. Mizruchi
That sounds interesting. Is it good?
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Now that's one I will have to have a look at. Love Coltrane's music.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
bionov
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

"Killing Patton" by Bill O'Reilly & Martin Dugard
The strange death of World War II's most audacious general.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”