• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 742 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

Do you have a quote to share? Funny? Positive? Thought Provoking?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: Do you have a quote to share? Funny? Positive? Thought Provoking?

Unread post

Took an old book from my shelf, "The Good Guy" by Dean Koontz. He is a prolific writer as many of you know. I read this book years ago and had forgotten what it was all about. Here's a small excerpt that was noteworthy:

"Where he stood now was at that point in any dangerous enterprise when the mind either sharpens to meet the escalating challenge or proves too dull for the duel, when the heart either becomes a guiding compass or shrinks from the journey, when success becomes a possibility or not."

And: "A psychologically mature person looks for the positive in every situation, for no experience is entirely negative".

Little jewels like that is what makes writing good, IMHO .
I'll have to read more of his writing.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Crystalline wrote:Took an old book from my shelf, "The Good Guy" by Dean Koontz. He is a prolific writer as many of you know. I read this book years ago and had forgotten what it was all about. Here's a small excerpt that was noteworthy:

"Where he stood now was at that point in any dangerous enterprise when the mind either sharpens to meet the escalating challenge or proves too dull for the duel, when the heart either becomes a guiding compass or shrinks from the journey, when success becomes a possibility or not."

And: "A psychologically mature person looks for the positive in every situation, for no experience is entirely negative".

Little jewels like that is what makes writing good, IMHO .
I'll have to read more of his writing.
I haven't read any Dean Koontz. What would you recommend I start with?
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Ashamed to admit, I only read THE GOOD GUY so far, but liked it a lot. Somebody just made a remark to me that LIGHTENING is one of his best. Here's a quote from Amazon reviews: "Again, I love Koontz, and strongly recommend books like WATCHERS, MR. MURDER, INTENSITY, ODD THOMAS, VELOCITY, and THE HUSBAND. This book (Lightening) is reasonably entertaining, but I wouldn't recommend it as your first Koontz novel. Please keep in mind, though, that some people just adore this novel, so it just shows how tastes can differ. The great thing about Koontz is that not all of his books are the same, so you never know what to expect."
I definitely intend to read more of Koontz in the very near future. I'm not an avid reader, since I also paint. I invite you to take a look at my web site
www.VictoriaNorvaisa.com
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

About Dean Koontz: Over the years, I have read so many of his books that I have lost track. I will post some below that I remember liking especially well. Koontz writes 'page turners.' I mean that in a good way, you don't want to put the book down. Here are a few I recommend, in no particular order (Note: Koontz writes horror/supernatural, science fiction, and mystery).
"The Bad Place," "Dark Rivers of the Heart," "Mr. Murder," "The Darkest Evening of the Year," "Watchers," "Whispers," "The Good Guy," and his latest, "The City."

By the way, my favorite quote by Koontz is from "The Darkest Evening of the Year": "In self defense, and in defense of the innocent, cowardice is the only sin."

Postscript 1. In many of his 'quotes' Koonz cites "The Book of Counted Sorrows." Don't look for it; it does not exist. It is his homegrown source when he can't find a 'real' quote.

Postscript 2. Look for the golden retrievers in his stories, he has a thing for them. He owned one named Trixie. Look under his page in Fantastic Fiction, http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk for a list of the Trixie books.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Lawrence

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Senior

Unread post

"In self defense, and in defense of the innocent, cowardice is the only sin."

Tim O'Brien in "The Things they carried," came to the same conclusion. After describing his excruciating personal agony trying to decide whether to flee to Canada and avoid the draft of Vietnam wrote this conclusion. [driving back from the Canadian boarder]
"The day was cloudy. I passed through towns with familiar names, through the pine forests and down to the prairie, and then to Vietnam, where I was a soldier, and then home again. I survived, but it's not a happy ending. I was a coward. I went to the war."
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Cattleman wrote:By the way, my favorite quote by Koontz is from "The Darkest Evening of the Year": "In self defense, and in defense of the innocent, cowardice is the only sin."
I happen to have that book on my shelf. I don't remember buying it, but it's on my To Read list now.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Jokermagician
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Two quotations, if I may...

One not related to a book - **You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war.** (Sorry, had to use the * sign since my quotes and apostrophe key burned out on my laptop, haha...)

And the second from an Agatha Christie novel, And Then There Were None - “In the midst of life, we are in death.” (Copied and pasted, that is why there are quotation marks there... haha)
Feel free to enjoy "Reprieve of Contemplation" now on sale through Amazon. I thank you all for your support by reading my work!

Amazon link - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QEERXN8

Also feel free to enjoy "Origins of the Dreamweaver" now on sale through Amazon. Once again, I thank you all for your support by reading my work!

Amazon link - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIDLN02
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

JokerMagician: Your "I'm sorry" -- twice already :lol: -- led me to yet another quote:

"Never apologize (sometimes "Never explain yourself"), your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it." -Multiple sources. :tease:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Unread post

Surely there is grandeur in knowing that in the realm of thought, at least, you are without a chain; that you have the right to explore all heights and depth; that there are no walls nor fences, nor prohibited places, nor sacred corners in all the vast expanse of thought.

Robert Green Ingersoll
Jokermagician
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Cattleman wrote:JokerMagician: Your "I'm sorry" -- twice already :lol: -- led me to yet another quote:

"Never apologize (sometimes "Never explain yourself"), your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it." -Multiple sources. :tease:

I like that quotation! hahaa Where was the other *sorry*? In another post? hahaha

Another quote (unrelated to any book I think... I dunno... ) -

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Napoleon Bonaparte
Feel free to enjoy "Reprieve of Contemplation" now on sale through Amazon. I thank you all for your support by reading my work!

Amazon link - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QEERXN8

Also feel free to enjoy "Origins of the Dreamweaver" now on sale through Amazon. Once again, I thank you all for your support by reading my work!

Amazon link - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIDLN02

Return to “Everything Else”