• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 709 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON by Daniel Keyes

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON by Daniel Keyes

Unread post

In 8th Grade I read the original short story for FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON, and it was one of three stories that year that made me want to become a writer (the other two are "Harrison Bergeron" and "A Sound of Thunder." Looking back, I remember being captivated by the characterization of Charlie, his thoughts and views on the world. When I came across the Bantam paperback of the novel at my local used bookstore, I snatched it right up.

Reading the novel, I still like the parts of the story culled form the original, but the expanded material is annoying. I don't like all the sexual maturity stuff, not because I am a prude but because it's getting into psychological analysis and that's not what draws me to the story. And that's the real problem I'm having throughout, actually--all this theoretical therapy session stuff, and the extra stuff about some of the other characters, just bogs down the story.

I'm perhaps three-quarters of the way through, and I plan on finishing it today. I would recommend this book, but be careful not to compare it to the original story like I have.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON by Daniel Keyes

Unread post

Hi, Movie nerd, and welcome to Book Talk. Always glad to converse with another bibliophile. :)

I read "Flowers for Algernon" (the short story) in the early 1960s. I enjoyed it. :up: I later read the novel also, and later saw the movie. The movie was titled "Charly," after the narrator/protagonist of the novel. Cliff Robertson played Charlie Gordon, and won the Academy Award for Best Actor for his efforts. The short story won the Hugo award for Best Short Story in 1960 (the Nebula awards were not in existence at that time, but the story later received a special award). The novel did win the Nebula award for best novel in 1966, in a tie with "Babel 17."

You are not the only reader to like the short story better than the novel; I personally think a lot of the novel was padding. :no: But then tastes differ.

Do you like science fiction in general? I love it, started reading it as a teenager in the 1950s; am currently reading "Robopocalypse." If you like sci-fi, let me know some of your favorites. :wink:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

I do enjoy science fiction, though my tastes in the genre are peculiar; I enjoy portions of the Golden Age era, portions from the New Wave and a little bit of the early cyber-related work in the 80's.

FAHRENHEIT 451 is my favorite book of all time, and its author, Ray Bradbury, is my favorite writer.

Some of my other favorite books in the field (and their authors are among my favorites as well) are ANGRY CANDY, A CANTICLE FOR LEIBOWITZ, THE HITCHHIKER'S GUID TO THE GALAXY, and ENDER'S GAME. I also enjoy the John Carter series by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Currently I have some Kurt Vonnegut in my reading list; I hear SLAUGHTERHOUSE-FIVE is really good.
Last edited by Movie Nerd on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
DianeD+
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Oh, I loved the book - I was assigned it in high school.

But it wasn't until last year that I found they'd made a movie of it. Or two. I saw one of the movies - it was ok.

But I still fondly recall the book - it held more depth and power than the movie.

Of course.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

DianeD+ wrote:Oh, I loved the book - I was assigned it in high school.

But it wasn't until last year that I found they'd made a movie of it. Or two. I saw one of the movies - it was ok.

But I still fondly recall the book - it held more depth and power than the movie.

Of course.
I still very much love the novel; I just feel the short story was better written. The novel had an excess of stuff that just wasn't needed. Largely overwritten for me. But that's just my opinion.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

:offtopic: Movie Nerd: Bradbury is one of my favorite authors too. :adore: ( See my signatures below.) I put him as one of the best American writers of the 20th century. His death marked the passing of an era I am thinking of Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke, Anderson, etc.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I loved this novel, I did not know it started as a short story. I had a cat named Algernon, he was a little stray with a HUGE personality, he is unforgettable, just like his namesake.

Anyone who wants to read this short story, it is now available in the short story forum. :)

Thanks Cattleman! :-D
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:I loved this novel, I did not know it started as a short story. I had a cat named Algernon, he was a little stray with a HUGE personality, he is unforgettable, just like his namesake.

Anyone who wants to read this short story, it is now available in the short story forum. :)

Thanks Cattleman! :-D
The short story is great. You can find several anthologies with the story in it.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Cattleman wrote::offtopic: Movie Nerd: Bradbury is one of my favorite authors too. :adore: ( See my signatures below.) I put him as one of the best American writers of the 20th century. His death marked the passing of an era I am thinking of Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke, Anderson, etc.
Haha, it's ok that it's off topic. We're discussing writers within the same field as Keyes' book, so we're within the same realm.

I was actually supposed to get to meet Ray Bradbury, but he unfortunately passed on before I could make the trip over to California. His loss hit me hard. But he did encourage me as a writer, and that was important to me.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”