• In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

If you were God, would you give humanity moral free will?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

If you were God, would you give humanity moral free will?

Yes

78%
No

22%

Total votes: 23
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: If you were God, would you give humanity moral free will?

Unread post

Another question related to the topic of the thread.

If god is omniscient, he knew that Adam would disobey. So why give the command in the first place?

I know, we mere mortals can't understand the motives of an omniscient being. Yet that doesn't explain why he wouldn't have simply made man in his fallen form. Unless the story is a plot device meant to give the ancients an explanation for why people commit bad behavior. The story only makes sense as a piece of fiction.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Interbane wrote:If god is omniscient, he knew that Adam would disobey. So why give the command in the first place?
Because he needed examples to point a finger at and say, "Ah haa, commanded you so".

It was Eve that disobeyed, the woman was given the sin of disobedience, however Adam's sin was far greater, Adam's sin was weakness. So we have a strong woman, and a weak man. I would think this would make any patripotestal entity very angry and very disappointed and very vocal. Sometimes I am surprised not to find thick sandwich boards proclaiming, "Women make men weak so shun them, rape them, kill them" outside of my local Wallmart. The command given by the omniscient, misogynist god is clear but I don't think the command came first. The need came first. The need to control women and the need to strengthen men came before the command. The need to control came before the command. Control, command: static.
Interbane wrote: Unless the story is a plot device meant to give the ancients an explanation for why people commit bad behavior. The story only makes sense as a piece of fiction.

A plot device; perfect terminology Interbane, thank you.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Interbane wrote:The word agency is sort of like consciousness, in the respect that it refers to emergent phenomenon so complex that it's difficult to break down. What it refers to is any entity with the ability to act, or with intentions. Agency detection is something humans are wired for. If we're sleeping in a tent, and a stick snaps, we immediately assume the cause was agency. Wild animals have agency in this respect. Most times we're referring to human agency. Before lightning was understood, the cause was thought to be an omniscient agency.

Intelligence with the will to act. The term is used often in naturalism, even though it has connotations in supernaturalism which include souls and other supernatural addons.
Oh ok, I think I get it. Thank you for the clarification.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Interbane wrote:Another question related to the topic of the thread.

If god is omniscient, he knew that Adam would disobey. So why give the command in the first place?

I know, we mere mortals can't understand the motives of an omniscient being. Yet that doesn't explain why he wouldn't have simply made man in his fallen form. Unless the story is a plot device meant to give the ancients an explanation for why people commit bad behavior. The story only makes sense as a piece of fiction.
That was always one of my first questions, and nobody has yet given me an answer that satisfies me.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”