• In total there are 32 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?

Unread post

I suppose this question really only applies to people in the United States and certainly not all of you reading this are in the US. I'm aware many nations have their own Thanksgiving celebrations but I'm guessing they don't coincide with the US national holiday and certainly aren't celebrating the same events in history.

For those of you reading this that have a Thanksgiving holiday approaching, please reply to any or all of the below questions...

What do you have planned?

What do you usually do for Thanksgiving?

Who do you spend it with?

What does Thanksgiving mean to you personally?

And what's on the menu?

Feel free to share any and all thoughts with regard to Thanksgiving. :)
Attachments
Holiday_Thanksgiving_Dinner-Image-2012-HD-Wallpaper.jpg
Holiday_Thanksgiving_Dinner-Image-2012-HD-Wallpaper.jpg (176.33 KiB) Viewed 4177 times
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?

Unread post

Family get together for a scrumptious buffet dinner at a Northwestern NY State ski resort, called Peak 'n Peek. All 4 of my children and families are coming (2 out of towners), 16 total, which doesn't happen too often, so I'm pretty excited. Thankful that everyone is healthy and happy, the grandchildren are doing well with school and various activities. Thankful that life is good at this particular time...change can happen at any moment...so I will enjoy this Holiday! :-D
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Unread post

The Canadian Thanksgiving, which I spent with my family, has come and gone. We ate too much (turkey dinner with all the fixings; pumpkin and apple pies for dessert) and laughed a lot. No tension. Quality time.

For me, it's about spending time together in honour of... well, each other, basically. If it's with the right company, you can't help but feel thankful to have them in your lives. And it's always with the right company, give or take. If we go around the table asking everyone what they are thankful for, the answers are pretty much the same - family, health, love, the basics in life. It would make no difference to me if we had to postpone the meal for another day, as long as that day comes... the word "Thanksgiving" isn't what makes the day special.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Well, along with my wife, her sister, and my younger son, I will go to my wife's brother's place for dinner. They live about 30 miles away. My older son will be spending the day with his in-laws. My daughter and her family live out of state, so won't see them until Christmas. :( We will get together, eat a traditional meal (turkey and dressing, etc.) and talk about our families. :yes: :no: :chatsmilies_com_92:

To me Thanksgiving has always been a time to reflect and remember; to enjoy what we have, and think about those who have so little. I am very proud of my daughter; :up: she and her family will help serve at a meal for the poor at lunch; that night they will share a communal meal with friends.

I am most unhappy :angry: :no: :angry: with the merchants who can't give their employees a day off; too worried (I guess) that they will lose a sale or two. :razz2:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

My dad will unfortunately be out of town on Thanksgiving, but my mom and I will be having a lunch together. Plus I'll be fixing a special plate for each of my three dogs; they get spoiled rotten.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

Dinner with my Mom, and then dessert at my uncle's house. With about 45 min travel to and from boiled in. Always nice to be with family. Did overtime at work today. Shopping and lunch with friends tomorrow. Planning on binge watching tv shows, reading and laundry for Sunday.

Hope you all have had a wonderful holiday too. :-D
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

CoolSummer wrote:Dinner with my Mom, and then dessert at my uncle's house. With about 45 min travel to and from boiled in. Always nice to be with family. Did overtime at work today. Shopping and lunch with friends tomorrow. Planning on binge watching tv shows, reading and laundry for Sunday.

Hope you all have had a wonderful holiday too. :-D
I love bing watching movies and TV. It's the greatest.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

My turkey this year...
Attachments
025.jpg
025.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 4056 times
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:My turkey this year...
Did you put some kind of spice on the outside there? It looks good and juciy.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Yes, I used salt and pepper and then a mixture of fresh Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme in real butter. I pushed this up under the skin and then coated the whole turkey too. Next time I won't put carrots and onions in the cavity because they never got cooked properly and were thrown away. And any sort of stuffing in the turkey prolongs the cook time.

Return to “Everything Else”