• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Why Do So Many Have Trouble Believing In Evolution?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Why Do So Many Have Trouble Believing In Evolution?

Unread post

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life ... ion/where/

Maybe regarding location.
size is not known

Thanks for the link. My questions about the fusion of C went a different direction I believe
Last edited by ant on Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:where is the evidence for why the fusion in humans is logically predictable within the theory?
There are many things like this that are not only not predictable, but not expected to be predicted. The path evolution has taken and still takes is essentially random. To ask why one particular path was taken, but not another, exposes a major misunderstanding of the mechanisms of evolution. Predicting which path a species will take in it's evolution is severely limited. This type of prediction is not the type that gives evolution it's strength. It does not make the theory any weaker either. It is an accepted, central tenet of the theory, that evolutionary pathways are random.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

What is the current estimated population size now? 7.2 billion? I'm making a quick post before going to watch a movie with my family, so I haven't had a chance to digest the latest posts to the thread, but I saw something about population growth and location.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

N="Interbane"]
ant wrote:where is the evidence for why the fusion in humans is logically predictable within the theory?
There are many things like this that are not only not predictable, but not expected to be predicted. The path evolution has taken and still takes is essentially random. To ask why one particular path was taken, but not another, exposes a major misunderstanding of the mechanisms of evolution. Predicting which path a species will take in it's evolution is severely limited. This type of prediction is not the type that gives evolution it's strength. It does not make the theory any weaker either. It is an accepted, central tenet of the theory, that evolutionary pathways are random.[/quote]

nah, not at all. The clue to the theory's system of operation is in it's name. Hard to miss it when it's in the title.

Evolution up to human intelligence is a stroke of luck or inevitable luck - call it what you wish - based on the theory actually not being a law because if you rewind the clock, different pathways most certainly would have occurred.
But we have had this discussion before. It was when you " explained" that evolution is not a law but an algorithm. You werent very helpful in explaining the algorithm itself - its "just an algorithm that happened"
Fine - you BELIEVE that.

There is no denying that a major part of what distinguishes a theory from being "just a theory" is its predictive power.
what distinguishes this particular theory is that it is more retrodictive than predictive.
No one is shooting it down for that, or be because it offers no observational evidence for other aspects hypothesized regarding the transition from hominid to human..
the fusion is also a major indicator about of difference between the two.
"It just happeNed"
Last edited by ant on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Ps
The first person who claims I am saying that evolution is just a theory based on my last post to interbane does not get a xmas present from me this year
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

The predictive power of a scientific theory refers to its ability to generate testablepredictions.[citation needed] Theories with strong predictive power are highly valued because they have practical applications.[citation needed] The concept of predictive power differs from explanatory and descriptive power (where phenomena that are already known are retrospectively explained by a given theory) in that it allows a prospective test of theoretical understanding
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictive_power

before you start posting some examples of predictability, my point is once again simply that to my knowledge, the leap from hominid to "intelligence" is not predictable. Nor has it been identified retrodictively.

I dont know.. has it? Youre the expert here, Interbane.

what will humans be in another 1000 years?
Homo sapiens are still in the process of evolving, are they not.
Or are we pretty much done?
Last edited by ant on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

ant wrote:Ps
The first person who claims I am saying that evolution is just a theory based on my last post to interbane does not get a xmas present from me this year
I wouldn't say that you said evolution's just a theory from the last post, but the things you stated overall leads me to believe you lean towards creationism...
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

Evolution: 24 myths and misconceptions
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... HKjTdb4vJ4

See in particular,
Evolution myths: Evolution is not predictive
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... HKitdb4vJ4
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Thanks but did you read what I wrote?
I didnt say it wasnt
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Thanks but did you read what I wrote?
I didnt say it wasnt
Your point is that evolutionary theory can't make predictions about the future path of evolution or explain why certain paths occurred in the past? And?

That's the nature of complex systems, at least for long time scales

http://www.quantamagazine.org/20140717- ... recasting/

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”