• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Why Do So Many Have Trouble Believing In Evolution?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Why Do So Many Have Trouble Believing In Evolution?

Unread post

"Once again, we have the issue of one or two aspects in a theory or piece of scientofic knoweledge which are still up in the air, and people look at those and think, "Haha"

Sorry guys. But the above comment is totally u necessary, unrelated, and simply simpleton bullshit.

No need to fall back on that weak crap when whats simply happening is a request for theory vs hypothetical assumptive clarification.

Thanks
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:We should probably get a group discussion going for a book on evolution. The challenge is to find a book that enough of us can enjoy and understand without being too basic or too advanced.

Maybe something like Ernst Mayr's, "What Is Evolution?"
I like that suggestion.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

As I tried again and again, with an ancient greek analogy, to state: a creationist hunting still missing bits of tangible evidence in the full picture of evolution with an aim to nullify it is the most ironic and logically flawed thing I have met so far in my lifetime.
No, thats not whats going on here at all. I have no issue with the truth or assumptive aspects of evolution.
Your claim as it relates to me is unwarranted, unsubstantiated, unsophisticated, emotional, and sheer rubbish.

Now, do you wish to have a conversation that includes questions related to the theory in question, or would you like to beat up a strawman with Mr. Nerd?

Your choice, bloke
Last edited by ant on Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Movie Nerd wrote:
lehelvandor wrote:Another game would be to say: all still theoreticised aspects in this and other stories need similarly empirical confirmation whilst such analogies are not allowed to be used in the reasoning. This then would go down the path of reductio ad absurdum, considering all the places where the same reasoning is key.

And then we are back again to the old chestnut: is the subtext here that the presence of some (not yet tangible, perhaps purely theoretical) elements without their here-and-now empirical confirmation nullifies everything it is part of? This pattern and motivation keeps re-appearing, and whilst I can't re-state the key point to this more eloquently than several others, too, have done so a few times here... at least I must again muse over how, using same logic, do absolute truths outside science's sphere fare.
Once again, we have the issue of one or two aspects in a theory or piece of scientofic knoweledge which are still up in the air, and people look at those and think, "Haha! The whole thing must be incorrect!" But science has provided more concrete answers than anything else has, and religion has loads of errors and no system for self-correcting. I frankly don't understand it.
Hey, Nerd.

I dont believe for a second that your just some innocent college boy who wishes to engage here with any fairness or objectivity.
I havent believed it since you first joined. Especially when Flann asked you about your father contradiction.

Youve clearly had an agenda from the start.

You can lie to me, but stop lying to yourself. Its pathetic.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

The only one thats willing to engage here without the stupid little strawman sidebars seems to be Johnson.

So I need to acknowledge that openly and thank him

Thanks, Johnson.
I have more questions.
lehelvandor
Freshman

Unread post

Weak crap? And namecalling. And a simple sentence in cold and very basic logic (if you fail to see why it is a fundamental logical failing, then say so but don't start again the infantile language, because you just show again that it touched a nerve - so you do know very well, that it is as far from emotional as it gets... sorry, but reverse psychology took another victim and Q.E.D.).

There is one person who is again using unwarranted, abusive, emotional, etc. language to attack someone who again got to the core of it. Sorry, but this masquarade is boring.

If this were about rational clarifications being asked, then you would not do the above as soon as the particular mammoth in the entire thread, from its title onwards, is announced.

Telling - and kept warning about traps, but still to no avail. Another one was set off splendidly. I know. I know, psychology, as one person ridiculed it, is just "sharing" something on a couch, but it can do other things, too. Again.

Overall I would just like to see the honesty of a viewpoint, without this masquarade of seemingly "clarifying" requests that consistently try to do exactly what some of us stated before. At least the level of it is better and knowledge is deeper than some peeps "out there" who use same method without any understanding of what they probe.
lehelvandor
Freshman

Unread post

Yes, the agenda is cold reason. And you talk about agenda? As stated above, for the third time you became childishly abusive, unfoundedly presumptious and entirely emotional - as soon as all the masquarade was reduced to a simple basic logical self-contradiction.
You don't have to get it - you provided yourself the evidence, once again. Third time. So really, thanks.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

lehelvandor wrote:Yes, the agenda is cold reason. And you talk about agenda? As stated above, for the third time you became childishly abusive, unfoundedly presumptious and entirely emotional - as soon as all the masquarade was reduced to a simple basic logical self-contradiction.
You don't have to get it - you provided yourself the evidence, once again. Third time. So really, thanks.
oh brother.

I see you really dont want to discuss particulars of the theory without these asinine emotional digressions.

Look, man.. I was willing to engage you with legitimate questions, but if youd rather argue about Christians and God go do it with someone else. Right now I am focused on what I have clearly said interests me about the theory.

this is weak of you. A few questions and it sends you off an unrelated tangent about "believers"
pathetic.

Youre
not focused. You wish to cry along the sidelines.

I will continue with Johnson.

Thanks anyway.
lehelvandor
Freshman

Unread post

Emotional? :))) And it seems also selective amnesia, as there were plenty of answers also given when you had a civilised tone.
And I was replying to Movie Nerd, even quoted him. But since it so set off the firework just by stating a core ,again, basic logic self-contradiction in some discourse, the focused, lucid, rational and objective person goes off on countless personal abuses?

This is just silly, re-read your own posts and count the non-emotional abuses you vented :)

You probably haven't seen then any of today's point by point scientific answers that may help in those questions - you may also, if so non-emotional, possibly notice the specific trigger and the timeline of it that stated something that made you type so rational words in last few posts....
Last edited by lehelvandor on Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Johnson wrote:
Take another swing at that one if you think I missed it entirely. I’m a bit confused what you are looking at here.
I will. And I realize you are not as well versed here as you are in other areas.

Right now I am off to see the 1931 (?) FRANKENSTEIN.

I will comb your post a bit later.
Thanks again.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”