• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

"What Book Changed Your Mind?"

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

"What Book Changed Your Mind?"

Unread post

I didn't know who these people were that they asked, but there are some interesting book suggestions:

http://chronicle.com/article/What-Book- ... nd-/149839
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Re: "What Book Changed Your Mind?"

Unread post

FAHRENHEIT 451 was the book for me. Ray Bradbury's short stories were what firsat made me want to become a writer, and this novel further cemented that dream inside of me, as well as more deeply instilled this passion for books and a fight against censorship.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

When I first came to BookTalk, I had been wrestling between theism & atheism and at that time was still hoping to find Something There. Reading and discussing Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan on BookTalk convinced me that quest was ridiculous.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:When I first came to BookTalk, I had been wrestling between theism & atheism and at that time was still hoping to find Something There. Reading and discussing Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan on BookTalk convinced me that quest was ridiculous.
I'd never heard of that book, but I'll certainly check it out.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

LanDroid, I didn't know Demon-Haunted World was so instrumental in your shift from theism to atheism. But it makes sense that it was.
Hal Henry
Master Debater

Unread post

in the mid-1960s, fresh out of college, I was a supporter of our war in Vietnam. Needless to say, I ran into a slew of opposing viewpoints. Then I bought a book by the Ripon Society, titled: "100 Reasons Why We Are in Vietnam." Was certain this would provide all the info I needed to bolster my opinions. I read it, and came to the conclusion that the United States had absolutely NO reason to be fighting a war in Vietnam.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Hal Henry wrote:in the mid-1960s, fresh out of college, I was a supporter of our war in Vietnam. Needless to say, I ran into a slew of opposing viewpoints. Then I bought a book by the Ripon Society, titled: "100 Reasons Why We Are in Vietnam." Was certain this would provide all the info I needed to bolster my opinions. I read it, and came to the conclusion that the United States had absolutely NO reason to be fighting a war in Vietnam.
I am speaking as someone born in 1990, so of course I was not around in that era. But the books that have shaped my opinion regarding Vietnam were the novels and short story collections written by Vietnam vets. THE THINGS THEY CARRIED by Tim O'Brien, A GOOD SCENT FROM A STRANGE MOUNTAIN by Robert Olen Butler, and of course THE FOREVER WAR by Joe Haldeman were all influential for their brutal but beautiful deptictions of the time.
Lesley_Vos
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

FAHRENHEIT 451 and Atlas Shrugged. Shame on me, but it was not a long time ago when I've finished to read them.
janny
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

This may seem to mainstream, but for me, the book that changed my outlook on life was The Fault in Our Stars. Sometimes we think that life is hard, that life is unfair, but upon reading it, people with ailments/disabilities are the ones who have it harder. It's hard to fall in love, to get attached because you may not know when your ailment will attack you, and it's hard to see your loved ones stress over you.
Janny > Love books, Coldplay and my second half Henry Ford - my beautiful Berner sennen
Proud member of the Swedish book club Cordia.
inezramirez
Official Newbie!

Unread post

"Follow Your Heart: Finding Purpose in Your Life and Work" by Andrew Matthews has changed my mind to more positive. Try this book.

Return to “Everything Else”