• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 742 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

New Author D. M. Baillie saying hello.

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DMBaillie
Getting Comfortable

New Author D. M. Baillie saying hello.

Unread post

Hello to everyone on here,

I have just discovered this site and I am busy trying to explore it. Hopefully I can read a few of the topics to see what is going on.

I am a lover of all types of Sci-Fi, whether it be reading, writing or watching. I also love rock climbing, a fantastic sport. If you haven't tried it I would seriously suggest that you do. I also love crime thrillers and some of my favourite authors include James Patterson, Terry Goodkind, J.K. Rowling and George R.R. Martin. I love the Game of Thrones series of books, (and the TV show as well) and can't wait to find out what happens to some of the characters.

I am an aircraft designer in my day job and an writer when I get the chance.

Anyway, enough about me, tell me something about yourself.
D. M. Baillie
Author
Keep Reading and I'll keep Writing...
Image Image

Author Website|Zero Hour UK|Zero Hour US|Time To Kill UK|Time To Kill US
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: New Author D. M. Baillie saying hello.

Unread post

Welcome to the community! :-)

You've got some interesting hobbies but I'm most interested in this "aircraft designer" thing. I'm quite an aviation enthusiast. Could you elaborate on your day job a bit?
DMBaillie
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Aircraft design occurs throughout the world. I have worked on Boeing and Airbus, and various other projects in my time.

I am a structural designer, working mainly on the bits the flying public don't tend to see, underneath the wing covers. All of the work is now done within 3D CAD systems so the art of using a drawing board to lay down plans has long since vanished, which is something I have never had to do in my career.

I've tended to work mainly on the wing, although I have worked on other parts of aircraft in military projects. The main focus has been on the Fixed Leading Edge (FLE) which is the front part of the wing that sits under the slats which is the part most people will see when they look at an aircraft wing.
D. M. Baillie
Author
Image Image

Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'm not familiar with the term "slats" with regards to aircraft wings. I know about ailerons, flaps, spoilerons, trim tabs, rudder, elevator, etc...

OK, I looked them up now. I guess I've seen the slats extend on takeoff and maybe landing. How embarrassing. Now I see they've been an important control surface since the 1920's and I knew nothing of them.

All of the other flight control surfaces are easy for me to understand in terms of their effects on the airflow. Slats are a bit confusing but that could be because I've only now learned of them.

Do you fly too?
DMBaillie
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hi Chris,

Yes the slats are those flight surfaces at the front, they are deployed for take-off and landing to increase the chord length of the wing and provide more lift at slower speed.

Unfortunately I am not a pilot, but I have flown a few simulators but not for years. I'll have to learn to do that sometime. I know the theory behind it all, but theory doesn't make you a pilot unfortunately. I do fly as a passenger though, everyone needs a holiday :-)

Do you fly yourself? what's your favourite destination?
D. M. Baillie
Author
Image Image

Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I never actually got my Private Pilot license but I've flown in the right-hand seat for quite a few un-logged hours. Now that I'm 46 years old and less brave and confident than when I was in my earlier years I just don't see myself pursuing the dream of flying. LIke you I'm content with flight simulators.

Favorite destination? I've been to Lake Tahoe, which is mindbogglingly beautiful, and then Santorini, Greece. Santorini was amazing too. In fact I don't know which one was my favorite. Probably Santorini, because Greece is where my wife's family is from and it had some real meaning to travel there with her.

How about you? Have you been to any amazing places?
DMBaillie
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

One of the most amazing places I have been to is Yosemite National Park, simply stunning. Also The grand canyon is pretty cool, especially when you get a helicopter to fly you into it.

There are some beautiful places in Australia as well, my favourite beach there would have to be Loch Ard Gorge - simply amazing.
D. M. Baillie
Author
Image Image

Return to “Everything Else”