• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 709 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

Do you have a quote to share? Funny? Positive? Thought Provoking?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
bionov
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: Do you have a quote to share? Funny? Positive? Thought Provoking?

Unread post

“ We know that whatever we do is simply a drop in the ocean, but if that droplet were missing the ocean would be lacking” Mother Theresa
mambo_banda101
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

"I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." –Maya Angelou
Miss Minx
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

This is my first post (besides introduction) so I'll make it a good one!

“This pain is not to make you sad, remember. Thats where people go on missing.... This pain is just to make you more alert--because people become alert only when the arrow goes deep into their heart and wounds them. Otherwise they dont become alert. When life is easy, comfortable, convenient, who cares? Who bothers to become alert? When a friend dies, there is a possibility. When your woman leaves you alone--those dark nights, you are lonely. You have loved that woman so much and you have staked all, and then suddenly one day she is gone. Crying in your loneliness, those are the occasions when, if you use them, you can become aware. The arrow is hurting: it can be used. The pain is not to make you miserable, the pain is to make you more aware! And when you are aware, misery disappears.” - Osho
"Creativity is the greatest rebellion in existence"
Crystalline

Unread post

I love the poem "Opportunity" by Edward R. Sill...too long to type it here, unless somebody would like me to do it.
Crystalline

Unread post

Teddy Roosevelt's "Man in the Arena" speech: "It is not the critic who counts; ….The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, …; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again…; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. "
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Crystalline, you post on critics brought to mind this little quote from Robert A. Heinlein. It appears in "The Notebooks of Lazarus Long," a part of his novel "Time Enough for Love."

A “critic” is a man who creates nothing and thereby feels qualified to judge the work of creative men. There is logic in this; he is unbiased—he hates all creative, people equally.

I say, Right on, Lazarus. :appl:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Hal Henry
Master Debater

Unread post

"Every drug addict is exactly the same; every alcoholic is crazy in his own particular way."

(close to what Terry Hayes wrote in "I Am Pilgrim."
Crystalline

Unread post

Cattleman, "A “critic” is a man who creates nothing and thereby feels qualified to judge the work of creative men. There is logic in this; he is unbiased—he hates all creative, people equally."
I don't think that's the case. Some critics love some creative people and destroy others; and the rest of the "sheeple" follow/believe what the critics say, repeat the praise or the negative comments, and that's how reputations are established or destroyed. I have met very few people who have the guts to say "I don't like this", if some renown person praises a piece of art, or a book, or music, etc. I have seen some movies, read some best sellers, etc., which I feel were highly over-rated. But maybe it's just me, maybe I have strange taste...to each his own :)!!!
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

"I spent three days a week for 10 years educating myself in the public library, and it's better than college. People should educate themselves - you can get a complete education for no money. At the end of 10 years, I had read every book in the library and I'd written a thousand stories."

This is of course a quote from my favorite writer, Ray Bradbury. I love his stories, and I love his passion for the library.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I just heard this while watching re runs of the TV show, "The West Wing".

A man is walking down the street and falls into a hole.
While the man is down in the hole, a doctor walks by. "Hey doc, I'm stuck down here in this hole, could you help me out", says the man.
The doctor writes a prescription and throws it down into the hole.
Then, a priest comes walking along, "Hey father, I'm stuck down here in this hole, could you help me out", says the man.
The priest writes down a prayer and throws it down into the hole.
Then a friend walks by the hole, "Hey Jack, I'm stuck down this hole, could you help me out", says the man.
The friend then jumps into the hole with the man. "Hey Jack, why did you jump in the hole with me, now we are both stuck"
The friend says, "But I have been stuck down this hole before, and I know the way out"

More of a story than a quote, but it has a great message.

Oh, just saw another, it's the tag line under my avatar, "Friends don't let friends read junk", :lol: . Written by one of the many clever members here on BT.

Return to “Everything Else”