• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

The Man from Vermont: Charles Ross Taggart, The Old Country Fiddler

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
adamrboyce
Official Newbie!

The Man from Vermont: Charles Ross Taggart, The Old Country Fiddler

Unread post

My name is Adam R. Boyce, and I'm the author of "The Man from Vermont: Charles Ross Taggart, The Old Country Fiddler" (History Press, Oct. 2013).
Charles Ross Taggart (1871-1953) is a truly overlooked part of our American cultural experience. His one-man performances (primarily) in lyceum and Tent Chautauqua circuits of the early 20th Century, along with his "Old Country Fiddler" recordings, brought joy to countless people throughout the United States and parts of Canada.
I happened upon Taggart accidentally, about 12 years ago, and I developed him into a living history portrayal, where I dress up as his "Old Country Fiddler" character, playing the fiddle, relating his humorous monologues, and telling his story (in his own words). The accumulation of material led to the creation of this book. I hope you'll consider reading it (available as a paperback or as an e-book). Many Thanks!
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: The Man from Vermont: Charles Ross Taggart, The Old Country Fiddler

Unread post

June 4, 1914 [Newbury, Vermont] Dear Mr. Crotty,- …I have peas, lettuce, radishes, cress, beets, cucumbers, squashes and pumpkins all up and growing to beat the band! Fruit trees and ornamental shrubs just booming. My daughter came home from Northfield Seminary last night, so we are all together once more. Cordially yours, C.R. Taggart

Boyce, Adam R. (2013-10-20). The Man from Vermont: Charles Ross Taggart, the Old Country Fiddler (Kindle Locations 929-933). The History Press. Kindle Edition.
some things never change :) my daughter got back from uni the other day, how great we can all 'shake the devil' together once more.
Last edited by youkrst on Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: The Man from Vermont: Charles Ross Taggart, The Old Country Fiddler

Unread post

Dear Mr. White, I’m recovering from a leg amputation… What a pleasant meeting we had last summer… My left leg is off above the knee. Evelyn sends greetings to you and Mrs. W. Charles Ross Taggart

Boyce, Adam R. (2013-10-20). The Man from Vermont: Charles Ross Taggart, the Old Country Fiddler (Kindle Locations 1384-1386). The History Press. Kindle Edition.
fantastic stuff! indomitable!
Charlie Taggart was laid to rest in the Readfield Corner Cemetery, with only a plain, flush grass marker of granite, displaying just his name and the years of his existence. Over a half century earlier , in December 1901, while Charlie Taggart was in Concord, Massachusetts, he visited the famous Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, where he saw the graves of literary giants such as Nathaniel Hawthorne, Ralph Waldo Emerson and Louisa May Alcott. He noted that, although they were great writers, they had very simple gravestones . Charlie wrote, “I learned this lesson from my visit to Sleepy Hollow Cemetery: that true greatness does not require great tombstones to perpetuate memory.” Charlie Taggart, in the late 1940s, wrote the following about his life and career: “My life has been a pleasant one. I always wanted to travel and got plenty of that. I always loved to make folks laugh, and that wish was satisfied.” From an early publicity sheet of his, during the Redpath years, Charlie summed up what was his life’s work by saying, “If I can turn your pain into pleasure by music, your worries into wonderment by mimicry, and your sadness to smiles by humor— in short, if I can succeed in lifting the cares and burdens from your life, for one evening only, my purpose will have been accomplished.”

Boyce, Adam R. (2013-10-20). The Man from Vermont: Charles Ross Taggart, the Old Country Fiddler (Kindle Locations 1392-1402). The History Press. Kindle Edition.
:yes:

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”