• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Stand - Stephen King

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Sam Fuller
Getting Comfortable

The Stand - Stephen King

Unread post

I read The Gunslinger and The Drawing of Three from the Dark Tower Series. I was really looking forward to reading the 3rd book but the nearby bookstores were out of them (go figure). So instead I picked up The Stand. Any thoughts on the book? Im only 50 pages in so no spoilers! By the way, its the uncut version. Whats the difference between the cut and uncut versions? I heard there are a few chapters that aren't related to the main story line.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: The Stand - Stephen King

Unread post

I have read "The Stand" twice; once in the original version, and a second time in the expanded version (I don't like to think of either as 'cut' or 'uncut.'), It has been several years since my last reading, but (and I have read many of King's books, including the entire "Dark Tower" series) I still consider "The Stand" his finest work. As I said, it has been several years since I read the book, but I remember when I read the expanded version, new first and last chapters. They almost seemed like a prologue and epilogue to me, but that is just my view. Sam, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
threak17
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

The uncut version is about 150,000 words longer - approx. 400 pages. It really fills the story out nicely.
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

I loved this one. If you do to check out "it" too. His early books The Shining, Salem's Lot are really good too.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

I remember the original published version being better in my opinion. To me Stephen King is better without all the fat on the page; when he chooses to go lean, his writing is crisp and good.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Unread post

Oh, The Stand. It's my favorite book of that genre. I see it here now, a big fat paperback withered and torn, on the bookshelf. I can almost feel Harold giving me the creeps!

Return to “What are you currently reading?”