• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 758 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

Is it easier to try self publishing than going with a vanity press?

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
bionov
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Is it easier to try self publishing than going with a vanity press?

Unread post

My first thriller, “Green Power”, was published by Publish America. Even though they didn’t charge me to publish it, they kept trying to solicit me for all kinds of services they would charge for. For example they charged me $99 to make my book available as a Kindle and another $99 as a Nook book. They also had control of the price of my novel. They set the price for a 211 page paperback book at $24.95 and $9.99 for ebook version. Now, who is going to pay those kind of prices? Therefore, I ended up ordering my novel from them at a 40% discount, hoping to sell copies on my own. However, they would charge $3.95 per copy for shipping and handling.
I’ve learned a lot from that experience. Therefore, I decided to self publish my next thriller, “The True Virus”, with Amazon. Again, it didn’t cost me a dime and I control the price. Now that my seven year contract is up with Publish America, I’ve gone ahead and created my own cover and reformatted my original manuscript into a Kindle format. I have to say that I am pleased with the results I’m seeing with both of my books.
Note> Check Predators and Editors website. http://pred-ed.com/pebpublisham.ht >>
American Star Books / PublishAmerica (aka PA, aka AmErica House): Conflict of interest. Also runs literary agency. A vanity press with a poor contract. Numerous writer complaints. Author mill and plagiarist. Strongly not recommended. Rated F by the BBB.

Return to “Author's Lounge”