• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 758 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

Hi I'm Dani

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Hi I'm Dani

Unread post

I live in a rural area in Ontario, Canada, surrounded by vivid blues and greens and the golds of wheat fields. In other words, I live in a painting. But I am not a painter, so I read instead - although I can’t remember the last time I read a really good book. I feel disappointed when I glimpse The New York Times Bestseller List (and even, at times… embarrassed, frankly). Is this the middle-aged thing, like my father telling me when I was younger that there is only garbage on the radio, crying “Frank Sinatra – now that was talent!”? There was a time when ordering books online was an impulse I fought to control. My bookshelves are stuffed with the contemporary fiction of the Oprah days and yard sale paperbacks. I have a handful of signed books by (mainly local) Canadian authors and some fairly heavy coffee table books. And I have a few dozen non-fiction books about religion, medicine, outer space, yada yada. If I could write a really good story, I’d write one – not for the money but just to give people something to get excited about. I hope I am not the only reader getting restless. I’m happy I found this site – there is much thought-provoking conversation here and although much of it is over my head I like to scan through it anyway – it’s the most interesting “bookclub” I’ve encountered.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Hi I'm Dani

Unread post

Hi Dani,

Welcome to BookTalk.org. :-)

There are so many books being published these days that it is a real chore to find the true gems. Hopefully you can join with us in uncovering some books worth ready. It seems that the best books often go largely ignored while some not-so-impressive stuff makes it big simply because of superior marketing and perhaps extremely effective social media strategies.
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:It seems that the best books often go largely ignored while some not-so-impressive stuff makes it big simply because of superior marketing and perhaps extremely effective social media strategies.
Yes, Chris, I suspect it's been that way for quite some time. It seems too long ago that I crawled into a book and was seduced by the writing, felt strongly about the characters, was swept away by the story. Too long ago. Makes me feel old! (Can't find a good radio station... television is ridiculous... can't find a good book anymore!)

Is there a Robert Redford for the publishing company? You know, like Sundance, but for writers?!!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Great question but I have no answer. Hopefully you'll discover that publisher.

A few book series come to mind that I found incredibly immersive.

1. W.E.B. Griffon's "The Corps"
2. Joel Rosenberg's "Guardians of the Flame"

Both had me completely captivated. Griffon is the superior writer for sure.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Danny, you sound a lot like me. I look at the N.Y. Times best seller list, and see the same authors over and over. And frankly, most of what they write is drek. Now, I personally like science fiction (cut my teeth as a kid on Bradbury, Heinlein, Clarke, etc.) Looking at the S.F. shelf at my local library, I find that it (S.F.) has been merged with fantasy. Take away the fantasy, and the Star Wars novels, and the shelf would be empty. And most of the fantasy is a poor rip off of Tolkien. Just keep looking; maybe you will find something. By the way, I like other genres, historical fiction, crime/mystery, and even the occasional Western. I can recommend a few authors; Bernard Cornwell writes some good historical fiction, and Michael Connelly is good in the crime/mystery area.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Unread post

Thanx for the suggestions guys. I'm going to check them all out! Ah... Bradbury. I remember reading F.451 in high school and really liking him. (then I saw a made for tv version and ... ewww!)

The NY Times bestseller list... so discouraging. Cookbook. Self Help. 50 Shades. Cookbook. 50 Shades revisited. (or whatever) Dr. Oz (or whatever). blah blah blah. Every now and then a sprinkle of a promise, but mainly, quite disappointing.

My friend recommended the Ken Follett century trilogy and someone bought me the 1st of them but haven't started yet. We'll see.

Return to “Everything Else”