• In total there are 41 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 41 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

US Airforce to change instructions for oaths

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

US Airforce to change instructions for oaths

Unread post

WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- The Air Force has instructed force support offices across the service to allow both enlisted members and officers to omit the words “So help me God” from enlistment and officer appointment oaths if an Airman chooses.

In response to concerns raised by Airmen, the Department of the Air Force requested an opinion from the Department of Defense General Counsel addressing the legal parameters of the oath. The resulting opinion concluded that an individual may strike or omit the words “So help me God” from an enlistment or appointment oath if preferred.

“We take any instance in which Airmen report concerns regarding religious freedom seriously,” said Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James. “We are making the appropriate adjustments to ensure our Airmen's rights are protected.”

The Air Force will be updating the instructions for both enlisted and commissioned Airmen to reflect these changes in the coming weeks, but the policy change is effective now. Airmen who choose to omit the words 'So help me God' from enlistment and officer appointment oaths may do so.

The language in previous instructions was based on an Air Force legal interpretation of 10 U.S.C. 502, 5 U.S.C. 3331 and Title 32, which contain the oaths of office.

The Air Force requested the review following a ceremony at Creech Air Force Base, Nevada, in which an enlisted Airman struck out the words, “So help me God” on the Department of Defense Form 4 and did not include them in his verbal oath. The Airman's unit was unable to process his paperwork due to the guidance in Air Force Instruction 36-2606, Reenlistment in the United States Air Force, which prohibited any omissions. Now that the Department of Defense General Counsel has provided an opinion, the Airman’s enlistment paperwork will be processed to completion.

(Information courtesy of the Secretary of the Air Force Public Affairs Office)
What are your thoughts on this subject? It seems pretty cut and dry to me. I'd like to hear the opinion of Christians.

Do you support the US Air Force's decision to allow both enlisted members and officers to omit the words “So help me God” from enlistment and officer appointment oaths if an Airman chooses?

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/t ... oaths.aspx
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Re: US Airforce to change instructions for oaths

Unread post

Hi Chris. I heard about this story. My view is that "So Help Me God" is widely viewed as a euphemism for "I am a loyal American".

The nature of military bonding involves a sense of patriotic mystery and trust. Imagining that this sense of emotional unity could be replaced by reason alone has some risks. Statements of Christian belief in this context are primarily aimed to indicate tribal belonging, a sense of brotherhood in arms and shared experience, not any actual magical claims.

A soldier has to be willing to die for his country. This commitment to serve come what may requires some level of unhesitating obedience to orders and tradition.

However, when you look at songs like With God On Our Side by Bob Dylan, or the film Apocalypse Now, it is easy to see how malevolent idiots can use a belief in God to justify all sorts of evil. The German army in the second world war had "Gott Mit Uns" (God With Us) on their belt buckles. If the American military had been more willing to tolerate diversity and questioning, it would have avoided some of the group-think that has led it into disasters in Vietnam and Iraq.

Viewing God as a symbol of loyalty leads to an inability to speak truth to power, which after all is a central motif of the trial of Jesus Christ before Pontius Pilate. Christianity itself insists on freedom of conscience in this episode, and this commitment to truth is part of its redeeming grace.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: US Airforce to change instructions for oaths

Unread post

I hear you and appreciate your opinion on this but I just don't think most Christians view these words as a euphemism. Regularly Christians boast about how the Pledge of Allegiance contains "One nation under God," courthouses often display the 100 Commandments, and courts and other governmental bodies require people to swear on the Bible or at least start their sessions with prayer. They use these facts as ammunition to defend the argument that we're a Christian nation. I'd like to make it crystal clear to everyone that we're a secular nation that welcomes people to practice their faith however they like as long as it is not in taxpayer funded institutions.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”