• In total there are 29 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Legalizing Marijuana

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Legalizing Marijuana

Unread post

Should we or should we not? The Pope is predicting that legalization efforts will not have the desired effect.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/2 ... 14287.html

Studies have shown that use by teens leads to lasting changes in the structure of the brain. There is a mild addictive aspect as well, though I'm not sure what the proper terms would be - psychological rather than physiological?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Re: Legalizing Marijuana

Unread post

I don't know why people would take his opinion seriously on the subject.

Does he even acknowledge non-violent offenders being in jail and having their lives ruined by governments for ingesting a substance? How about the effectiveness of decades of the war on drugs? How about the effects of decriminalization in places like Portugal?
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

i know from often repeated experience that i'd much prefer to be in a room with a bunch of people that have smoked a bit too much weed than people who drank a bit too much alcohol.

often alcohol seems to bring out the "dark side", fights start, folks get mouthy, too gung-ho etc, a real jeckyll and hyde juice for a lot of folks (not all).

seen plenty of really bad assaults that would not have happened or been as bad sans alcohol.

i like a drink myself but "moderation" FTW!

as a doctor once remarked "dosage people dosage!" he was exasperated that people would take 5 or 10 or 15 times the appropriate dosage of whatever they were doing.

a cautious decriminalisation seems only sensible to me.

you've got people in jail with their lives severely impacted over a bit of weed when they can drink enough to die of poisoning anytime they like, never made any sense to me.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

of course in no way am i intending to say weed is "all good" and has no potential for abuse etc

too much weed too often can lead to debilitating effects, especially exacerbating pre-existing dispositions.

hence the song "i got stoned and i missed it!" :lol:

but if alcohol and tobacco are legal then why the hell is pot a criminal offence so to speak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MESZh-_uyUQ
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

but if alcohol and tobacco are legal then why the hell is pot a criminal offence so to speak.
Because people are dumb. Why do some people believe the Earth is young? Get the right set of arguments and talking points, and even stupid beliefs come easy to otherwise smart people.

I haven't had a drop of alcohol in years now. In my experience, it is far worse than marijuana.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
threak17
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Individual states need to legalize it, tax it, and generate some much needed income to help keep the schools open, the roads paved and the bridges standing.
lovemybull
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

IMHO alcohol is the worst of the evils, but as with anything moderation is the key concept. I would say legalize weed. It has medical purpose, it has creative purpose...pulling any smoke into your lungs isn't particularly healthy but hey, pick your poison.
What's ridiculous is the money and manpower the DEA uses to seize it. Yeah keep the coke and heroin under control- crack is destructive and heroin kills. But sending someone even to court for possession of marijuana is dumb in my opinion.
L' Chaim!

Return to “Current Events & History”