• In total there are 17 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Is this a thing??

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
SMBowles
Getting Comfortable

Is this a thing??

Unread post

I am an independent writer and just like any other author I struggle to get noticed - and I'm sure I don't need to list all the ways to approach this. Well, I'm in between projects right now and figured I'd tackle some of the books I've been meaning to read.

The very first book I chose was a very popular book 1 to a series. Figuring it was so well regarded it would be a great read and a worthy investment.

I could only manage the first 7 chapters and I had to put it down. It was not at all what I expected and I cannot for the life of me imagine why it was so popular.

I posted my thoughts on Amazon 2/5 stars and a bad review which I am not at all fond of doing but this book was such a disappointment!

Much to my surprise not 20 minutes after I posted my review 2 new 5/5 star reviews were immediately posted. I was surprised because really this particular book is beyond it's heyday and who other than myself just finished it.

I feel very suspicious now - is it possible that big publishers monitor their $$ makers and put several new reviews up for every bad one just so they can keep the ratings high?

I am anxious to hear some thoughts on this. I went back through several pages of the reviews for this particular book and I swear it is like a pattern - bad review then immediately afterwards 1 or 2 new 5 star reviews with very little to say about the book and next to no information about the reviewers.
rdc8492
Atop the Piled Books

Re: Is this a thing??

Unread post

Oooh don't get me on my soapbox about the review system. lol How I wish I could say it is on the up and up, but sadly it's not. It's not just big publishers either. The corruption seems to be rampant.

I, like you it appears, was naive enough to think it was all legitimate readers giving their honest opinions. In the two months that B.E.'s book has been out, we've learned what a cut throat biz this can be. I was really really surprised!!! There are people who SELL reviews. It actually upsets me more that there are unscrupulous authors who would pay for them!

I've been warned to expect other authors in the same genre that feel threatened will post negative reviews. I have no problem with a negative review if it is truly someone's honest feedback of what they didn't like about a book. It's good for the author to hear those comments for future works. However, if it's strictly to knock you down out of spite then it's just wrong on every level. We earned our bad ones by making the mistake of not using a professional editor before publishing. But even the negative reviewers seemed to all say they liked the story and the plot, just not the editing. That was good feedback. Editing has now been done based on those reviewers. But some of them were simply vicious beyond constructive feedback and felt more like intentional sabotage than someone's opinion. Those cited things that were not even logical or accurate. It was clear they hadn't even read the book.

Then when you do earn a legitimate 5 star review, you can guarantee someone will give you a negative that tries to discredit the good one saying it's been bought or by a family member. *Note to readers, not every author out there is dishonest.. some of us still like to follow the rules even if it doesn't make our books go viral* Sorry, I had to preach because that's a very sore spot with me. I hush now. hehehe

Anywho, SMBowles, I have no suggestion other than take the approach we try to do... remember that you can never please every reader. Share the stories you have to tell anyway. There WILL be some that enjoy them immensely. If a negative review is legitimate, it's a learning tool. If it's positive, it's motivation. But never, ever, let a review define who you are as a writer. /end soapbox lol

Huggles
If you like humorous science fiction, I invite you to read Highway to the Stars: The Beginning by B.E. Wilson
Maverick_Mom
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Wow. From now on, I will certainly read reviews with a wary eye. I feel so naive, I never considered book reviews from this perspective. Silly me. Thanks for sharing the info.
The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
rdc8492
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

I'm curious. The OP, SMBowles, mentioned that after he posted his honest review, along came two more 5 star reviews within minutes. That would raise my suspicion too I agree. What I am curious about is how many people actually notice that though? I applaud the diligence in taking time to leave a review in the first place, many do not. :appl:

It's no secret that I am not a fan of the current review process or other authors/publisher's morals to try to falsify reviews, but SM got me curious.. how many true readers pay attention to the timing of the reviews that do get posted? Lol, ok ok, I admit, I'm now nervous to get too many on the same day if it makes them look fake even if legitimate.

And back on my soapbox for two seconds... I really hope those who do put full faith in reviews before deciding to read something take the extra effort to see what all the other reviewers have read. We got a vicious one star yesterday morning but it was the one and only review the poster had ever done. Legitimate and honest... me things not!
If you like humorous science fiction, I invite you to read Highway to the Stars: The Beginning by B.E. Wilson
mambo_banda101
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

As an author I find this topic interesting. I am still new to the process of reviews and I never saw this angle. I personally trust reviews on Amazon and depend on them time to time in order to purchase something.

When it comes to the review process on Amazon where does the top reviewers list fit in?
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Unread post

Makes me think of travel reviews online, which have never been trustworthy. Come to think of it, neither have product reviews. Amazon is terrible for including a review of a product where the buyer simply comments on the seller's prompt service and gives a five star rating and never mentions the product. When you purchase from Amazon you receive an email asking you to rate the vendor's service and if you inadvertently follow the link and rate the service, you might find your "review" in there with the others.

I like the advice from rdc8492 about sharing the stories you have to tell anyway.
mambo_banda101
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

That's interesting.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Thought I would post my thoughts here. I have personally reviewed a few books for our local library's support group newsletter. One book, for which I gave a poor review, was a #1 New York Times bestseller. :? But then, many people buy these books and never read them, or may even hate them. Of course, the absolute WORST place to look for a review is on the book jacket, itself. :razz2:

I have left reviews on Amazon; I will have to check back and see if there was a 'backlash' response to my negative reviews.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Unread post

Cattleman wrote:Of course, the absolute WORST place to look for a review is on the book jacket, itself.
Took me awhile to learn that one :blush:

Return to “Everything Else”