• In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Richard Feynman: Great Scientist; Lascivious, Lousy Person.

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: Richard Feynman: Great Scientist; Lascivious, Lousy Person.

Unread post

If you want to give Feynman credit for being a brilliant, rational scientist, that's fine.
Don't forget to give him credit for being a social PIG with women.
He was.
He was.

I said the same earlier.
There's more to life than science, Johnson. Apparently science did nothing for Feyman's value system or his moral character.
And who has ever attempted to say otherwise, except the strawmen you rail against?
What are some of your quirky characteristics.
Do you buy women sandwiches in exchange for sex?
Worse than that, Ant! I tried taking women to the movies! To parties! To the beach!
To dinner, Ant! God help me! In my derangment, i took women to dinner! I fed them like a common nobel prize winning swine!

I've asked them how their day was! I confess! I've tried to make them happy when they were sad! I've told them they were pretty, and that they looked nice... I've laughed at jokes that weren't funny!

Is there no depth to which i wouldn't sink!?

You were right all along....

It was SCIENCE, Ant!

It was all SCIENCE!

when will we ever learn not to get caught up in science and it's perversions!

haha

You know, i personally have known people who behaved like Feynman did. There are a lot of guys, especially in late high school and early college who make it their life's work to try to hook up with women for 1 night stands. Some get very good at that, and others try and fail. And none of them with much regard for the women they were after.

What is the one unifying umbrella that casts dark shade on them all...?

Science.

Case made.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Let's blame Feynman's sexist exploits on the cultural village at the time.
After all, it's the village that reared him.

While we're at it, the village should also take credit for his contributions to physics.

Your " it was science it was science" comment was just plain stupid.
You know, i personally have known people who behaved like Feynman did. There are a lot of guys, especially in late high school and early college who make it their life's work to try to hook up with women for 1 night stands. Some get very good at that, and others try and fail. And none of them with much regard for the women they were after.
The above is stupid "boys will be boys" reasoning.

Feynman wasn't just a high school or college boy during the time of his sexual hunting. He was a Professor in a position of power and prestige. It's stupid of you to try to color it differently.
There are stories of him depicting women as "air heads" DURING LECTURES, making sexual advances on female students, single and married, and his general attitude about women who hung out in bars.

It doesn't matter if you personally knew womanizers who behaved like Feynman.

EDITED TO BE NICE
Last edited by ant on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

It doesn't matter if you personally knew womanizers who behaved like Feynman.
I'm not getting what "it" is that's supposed to matter here. Some people have issues ant, it's part of life. Even famous scientists, famous athletes, and famous actors. Was this such a huge revelation that you had to make a post about it? Or was Feynman in particular a special case? Was he raping and murdering and binging himself into a stupor on drugs?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams

Return to “Everything Else”