• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Advertising your book

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
PoeticJustin
Master Debater

Re: Advertising your book

Unread post

I think it sounds good. It's simple and direct. I think maybe you could add one more sentence to add one more piece of detail but I definitely think it serves it purpose and it catches your eye. Congrats Crystal and best of luck to you.
Justin Bienvenue--Author--Like A Box of Chocolates
rchapman1tewantin
All Star Member
Australia

Unread post

I don't think you need any help Kathy, you seem to be doing just fine!! Well done.
Rita Lee Chapman
Author of the Anna Davies Mystery Series
Winston - A Horse's Tale
Dangerous Liaisons,
The Poinciana Tree
The Unicorn Angel
My Very Naughty Pony
TheWizard
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

I'm going to try the 99 cent promotion next week - I'll let you all know how it goes if you're interested
Robert Brady
Author of The Fovean Chronicles
http://www.swordsandsorcery.com
gesler0811
Experienced

Unread post

I can't quite bring myself to unpublish my stuff from Smashwords. That's just about the only thing holding me back from doing a kindle countdown deal. Coward. :)

And Wizard, by all means, I'm very interested to see how that works out for you. Might be what finally prompts me to give it a shot. Coward. :)
Voodoo, zombies, artifacts, and magic: Urban fantasy with a New Orleans Flair
I am currently offering my urban fantasy novel 'Line of Sight' for only 99 cents - Buy from Smashwords and use Coupon Code CT92F
Come see why the book is getting such rave reviews! (Also available for kindle, nook, and iTunes, and as a paperback from Amazon)
Official Line of Sight Page
TheWizard
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

OK, just finished a week of advertising through Amazon. I dropped the price to 99 cents. I sold a LOT of books, and it moved the position of the books up into the 100,000's and kept them there.

It was easy to do. I recommend it. To this, you have to be on Kindle Direct Publishing, and select the marketing option. To be on this plan, I'm reasonably sure you have to be exclusive to Kindle.

I've had very little success before on Smashbooks and Nook - certainly nothing like this
Robert Brady
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

Does anybody write novels or know any independent authors who do?

I'm a published author and started my own publishing business. I'm looking for authors to promote on my publishing site, http://www.laptiast.com/submissions.html

It's pretty simple. Contact me via this page or the email on the website. Let me know what the book's about. If I think what you've written would be a good fit for the site, I'll gladly post a picture of the book cover in the online store section and link it back to you. I don't make any money off your book. I only make money off the books I personally write or an author I decide to publish.

In regards to my own experience with advertising, I reached out to radio, but found it very expensive. I decided on a email campaign through an art magazine, which too was expensive, but I did get some sales. I'm now trying to link up with small stores in my area and other authors, as well. I just dropped off books where I get my haircut. They're selling them too! LOL
Last edited by Brooks127 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
rdc8492
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

TheWizard wrote:OK, just finished a week of advertising through Amazon. I dropped the price to 99 cents. I sold a LOT of books, and it moved the position of the books up into the 100,000's and kept them there.

It was easy to do. I recommend it. To this, you have to be on Kindle Direct Publishing, and select the marketing option. To be on this plan, I'm reasonably sure you have to be exclusive to Kindle.

I've had very little success before on Smashbooks and Nook - certainly nothing like this
Wiz, would you mind to share some follow up on what the long term effects were? I've heard some horror stories that the results are temporary and some plummet severely a few days later. I hope you didn't go through that effect. :-)
If you like humorous science fiction, I invite you to read Highway to the Stars: The Beginning by B.E. Wilson
TheWizard
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

That's pretty much exactly what happens
Robert Brady
rdc8492
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

Awwww I was hoping it wasn't true. :-( I had heard several report the same effect. Very sorry.

Oh, and btw.. big ole Greene County howdies.. hehehe a homeboy! woot!
If you like humorous science fiction, I invite you to read Highway to the Stars: The Beginning by B.E. Wilson
TheWizard
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

OK, been slammed with work so now I can do a more complete synopsis for you all

After you've been on Kindle a while and made a certain amount of money/spent a certain amount of time, you can do a promo.

Your price for doing this appears to be that people can borrow your books for free. That doesn't give you any money, but it DOES count toward your popularity as far as I can tell.

You can give the book away or you can charge $.99 for it. I chose the latter. I saw an immediate spike increase in sales - enough to drive me back into the top 100k, almost to the top 10k, in a week.

Thing is, you've now set the price point of your book at .99. I did this for all of my books and I shouldn't have - if I'd been smarter I'd have just done the first book and will if I do this again. Of course, if you don't have a series, this is irrelevant.

After the sale, I didn't sell for another 2 weeks. Now I'm creeping back up to where I was.
Robert Brady

Return to “Author's Lounge”