• In total there are 4 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Conversation between Robert Wright and Jonathan Haidt

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Conversation between Robert Wright and Jonathan Haidt

Unread post

I have stumbled on a conversation between Robert Wright (Evolution of God) and Jonathan Haidt (The Righteous Mind) on Wright's Bloggingheads.tv. A fun listen.

http://bloggingheads.tv/videos/9376
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Re: Conversation between Robert Wright and Jonathan Haidt

Unread post

Apparently Wright & Haidt taught a class together at Princeton. What a class it must have been. The two men have a nice rapport and both have a clear, organized way of presenting ideas.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Saffron wrote:Apparently Wright & Haidt taught a class together at Princeton. What a class it must have been. The two men have a nice rapport and both have a clear, organized way of presenting ideas.
That would be an amazing class.

Great video. I always thought religion and politics must work along the same lines. As Haidt says, politics is a direct outgrowth of our tribal, groupish, moralistic moral psychology AND religion is an outgrowth of our tribal, groupish, moralistic moral psychology.
-Geo
Question everything
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

geo wrote:
Saffron wrote:Apparently Wright & Haidt taught a class together at Princeton. What a class it must have been. The two men have a nice rapport and both have a clear, organized way of presenting ideas.

Great video. I always thought religion and politics must work along the same lines. As Haidt says, politics is a direct outgrowth of our tribal, groupish, moralistic moral psychology AND religion is an outgrowth of our tribal, groupish, moralistic moral psychology.
I had a a similar inkling too. Examining politics and religion as arising from the same aspects of the human mind, opens up a new ways to understand how we think about, experience and behave in relation to politics and conversely, religion.

Off topic to Geo: I recently made a visit to Asheville - loved it! I had the pleasure of sitting in the late afternoon sun at The Wedge, drinking their IPA and eating tamales from the food truck.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Saffron wrote:
geo wrote:

I had a a similar inkling too. Examining politics and religion as arising from the same aspects of the human mind, opens up a new ways to understand how we think about, experience and behave in relation to politics and conversely, religion.

Off topic to Geo: I recently made a visit to Asheville - loved it! I had the pleasure of sitting in the late afternoon sun at The Wedge, drinking their IPA and eating tamales from the food truck.
Aw heck, give me a ring next time you come out here.

I had to Google The Wedge. I see it's in the River Arts District. That's a pretty cool area, but we don't get out there much. There's a great Mexican restaurant down there.
-Geo
Question everything
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Began watching this and am gonna like it. These guys are sympatico, which is a nice change from verbal duelists. I found out from this that Haidt is only on loan to NYU. I had asked him if he was returning to UVA in my email to him, but he didn't respond to that part.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:Began watching this and am gonna like it. These guys are sympatico, which is a nice change from verbal duelists. I found out from this that Haidt is only on loan to NYU. I had asked him if he was returning to UVA in my email to him, but he didn't respond to that part.
I'm finishing Wright's lectures on Buddhism and psychology, they are definitely on the same page on a lot of things, I will listen to this later.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”