• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

"Spiritual Atheist" - Oxymoron?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: "Spiritual Atheist" - Oxymoron?

Unread post

Dexter wrote:
ant wrote: The newbie Taylor, who I'm guessing is an atheist because of his previous comment, has opined that an author who wrote an article about atheism not disproving religion has a life that is void of value.
Another great example of ant's reading skills and dishonesty

This is what Taylor actually said:
Taylor wrote:The article should have drown in the cesspool, It and the author lend a great deal of nothing to the life worth living.
No one else should have a problem seeing the difference.
ant wrote:Are the American Atheists not representing True atheism?
I've never heard of the American Atheists, should I be paying dues?

Wasn't the Albanian dictator the official spokesman for atheism?

Keep googling for other opinions, and let us know what else atheism consists of. Who knows what views I'll have to accept next, this is quite a precarious situation!
ant wrote:That's why atheists collectively never get anything DONE - PERIOD.
That's also why anti-astrologists never seem to get anything done.
It follows that if the author's opinions "lend a great deal of nothing to the life worth living" then that person's life also must have nothing for a life worth living.
The value of that person's life has been judged as falling short of true value measured by someone else.
How twisted is that?

Or maybe we should allow Taylor to clarify himself here. That way you don't have to play this ridiculous Knight in Shinning Atheist Armor to the rescue game.

It's not a surprise you're coming to his defense though, Dexter.
Really, it's not. You are pompously critical and patronizing to a certain group you have clearly marginalized.
I'd think your sense of "awe" for nature would keep you busy. But apparently youre not even wired for "awe"
You're wired for contempt at religion mostly.

Yes. You should check in with your local atheist organization. I think it would be healthy for you.

Thanks
Last edited by ant on Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote: It follows that if the author's opinions "lend a great deal of nothing to the life worth living" then that person's life also must have nothing for a life worth living.
The value of that person's life has been judged as falling short of true value measured by someone else.
How twisted is that?

Or maybe we should allow Taylor to clarify himself here. That way you don't have to play this ridiculous Knight in Shinning Atheist Armor to the rescue game.

Really, it's not. You are pompously critical and patronizing to a certain group you have clearly marginalized.
I'd think your sense of "awe" for nature would keep you busy. But apparently youre not even wired for "awe"

Yes. You should check in with your local atheist organization. I think it would be healthy for you.

Thanks
Quoted for posterity. Wow, this is pathetic.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Dexter wrote:
ant wrote: It follows that if the author's opinions "lend a great deal of nothing to the life worth living" then that person's life also must have nothing for a life worth living.
How twisted is that?

Thanks
Quoted for posterity. Wow, this is pathetic.
Your personal brand of atheism lends a great deal of nothing to a life worth living.
You're pathetic.

Of course if I would have said that it would have been criminal of me!!
Ohhhhh!!!! Poor little atheist Dexter. Ant told him his atheism adds nothing to a life that's of value or worth living!

BTW,
Are you ready to present evidence for any feelings of spirituality you've experienced?
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Or maybe we should allow Taylor to clarify himself here. That way you don't have to play this ridiculous Knight in Shinning Atheist Armor to the rescue game.
Uh, Taylor did clarify his comment, and expressed surprise to be called a Nazi. Any decent human being with an ounce of class would apologize, but then again he's only an asshole atheist, right?
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

geo wrote:
ant wrote:Or maybe we should allow Taylor to clarify himself here. That way you don't have to play this ridiculous Knight in Shinning Atheist Armor to the rescue game.
Uh, Taylor did clarify his comment, and expressed surprise to be called a Nazi. Any decent human being with an ounce of class would apologize, but then again he's only an asshole atheist, right?
Show me where.

Don't you think it's possible I might have overlooked it with this atheist dogpile in progress for the past two days??!!
YAH THINK, GEO?!
WOW! THAT cant be possible, huh?
After all, you've experienced the same dogpiles here that I have and you never missed a beat!!!
Right!?

Show me where.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Your personal brand of atheism lends a great deal of nothing to a life worth living.
You're pathetic.

Of course if I would have said that it would have been criminal of me!!
Ohhhhh!!!! Poor little atheist Dexter. Ant told him his atheism adds nothing to a life that's of value or worth living!
You sound like there should be some insult in your words ant. I'm fairly sure everyone's personal brand of a(predicate) lends a great deal of nothing to a life worth living. It's sort of included in the "a" part. How about your aatheism? Or your adragonism. Does it lead to a life worth living? :yes:

Speaking for myself and not Dexter, my atheism lends nothing, but my volunteering at the Red Cross is a different story, and is not motivated in any way by my theism or lack thereof.
It follows that if the author's opinions "lend a great deal of nothing to the life worth living" then that person's life also must have nothing for a life worth living.
It actually doesn't logically follow.
YAH THINK, GEO?!
Ant, go get some nicotine or a vallium and slow down or we'll dogpile you.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Don't you think it's possible I might have overlooked it with this atheist dogpile in progress for the past two days??!!
YAH THINK, GEO?!
After all, you've experienced the same dogpiles here that I have and you never missed a beat!!!
Right!?
You are a piece of work, Ant. I don't generally go around calling people Nazis either.

By the way, I believe our friend, Taylor, is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.

http://www.booktalk.org/another-challen ... 78-45.html

Edit: By the way, Socrates is credited for having said: an unexamined life is not worth living. I believe that is what Taylor was alluding to in his original post.
-Geo
Question everything
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Don't you think it's possible I might have overlooked it with this atheist dogpile in progress for the past two days??!!
ant, in your mind, is it at all possible, even just a little bit, that your attitude, and your posts content have anything to do with causing in any way what you perceive as an "atheist dogpile"?

here's some highlights from the "Yorky files" :-D
ant wrote:They don't have to be peer reviewed and published for a religious bigot like Yorky..
ant wrote:The troll yorky, who only activates his keyboard to denounce Christianity
ant wrote:Of course the great atheist Yorky has declared the idea of faith of future explorers tobe nothing
ant wrote:Good ol Yorky, who probably has never even flown in a plane let alone journeyed into space.
ant wrote:Yorky is always suspicious
ant wrote:Yorky is the resident troll. His posts are by and large trollish.
ant wrote:Is this some kind of coincidence that the dunce Yorky would post something like this
ant wrote:Yorky,

I can agree with most of your comments about the definitional problem with the name "god."
hey that last one is ok, except i asked you not to call me Yorky, but rather my actual username here "youkrst" :lol:

:lol: anyways at least i get a laugh everytime i read that expression "atheist dogpile"

i wonder if that's any different to a theist dogpile, it doesn't look like it needs to be a bad thing

Last edited by youkrst on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Slang Dictionary

dogpile
v. [Usenet: prob. fr. mainstream "puppy pile"] When many people post unfriendly responses in short order to a single posting, they are sometimes said to "dogpile" or "dogpile on" the person to whom they're responding. For example, when a religious missionary posts a simplistic appeal to alt.atheism, he can expect to be dogpiled. It has been suggested that this derives from U.S, football slang for a tackle involving three or more people.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
It's utterly dishonest, yes, DISHONEST, to claim that atheism does not have a belief system. The American Atheists look to science to structure their knowledge of the world. That is, their belief on the nature of the world and cosmos.
No, it's not dishonest. The American Atheists and Robert Tulip are wrong on this point. If you look to science to structure your knowledge of the world, the proper term for the worldview is methodological naturalism.
From Spinoza, Einstein and Bertrand Russell, methodological naturalism is the same as atheism. There is a more recent American trend derived from Sam Harris that provides the views about atheism that Interbane and Johnson have advocated here, such as that Christians are atheist about Hinduism, but that is a recent theory that is quite separate from the broader history of atheism, which is intimately entwined with logical natural materialist science.

Atheism is historically the doctrine of scientific enlightenment, objective rational materialism. This comes through in the American Atheist claim that atheism is a worldview.

I am a big fan of Frank Zindler, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Zindler http://www.atheists.org/about-us/board-of-directors former editor of American Atheist Magazine. His 2013 co-edited book Bart Ehrman and the Quest of the Historical Jesus of Nazareth from American Atheist Press contains some superb essays by Frank and others explaining an atheist analysis of Christian origins. Frank is in my view among the most lucid commenters on this problem, due to the fact that he understands atheism coherently as a method to explain reality.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”