• In total there are 15 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 15 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Stories of World War Two survivors

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Stories of World War Two survivors

Unread post

I'm currently reading the stories of men and women that lived through World War II and are still alive today. These aren't soldiers. They're citizens of various nations that lived through the war and have stepped forward to share their experiences.

You might enjoy reading some of these. http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/chatback/e ... eople.html
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: Stories of World War Two survivors

Unread post

You might enjoy reading my book. My family walked through Germany just keeping ahead of the front, sleeping in barns, seeking shelter under bridges from the rain, living in a displaced people's camp, and ultimately coming to America.
"Desire and Red Wine, A Life's Journey" by Victoria Norvaisa
see my website www.VictoriaNorvaisa.com
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

"Desire and Red Wine" sounds like a romance novel and I'm personally not much of a romance novel kind of guy.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

There's more to it than just romance. I got positive feedback from men who read my book. Maybe you should expand your horizons :). I'm willing to read a fantasy book and discuss it in the fiction forum, even though I'm not a fantasy novel kind of woman :).
Paul S
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:I'm currently reading the stories of men and women that lived through World War II and are still alive today. These aren't soldiers. They're citizens of various nations that lived through the war and have stepped forward to share their experiences.

You might enjoy reading some of these. http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/chatback/e ... eople.html
Thanks for sharing the link. My grandfather was a photographer who flew in bombers to take the before and after pictures for the US bombing strikes. Sure enough, decades upon decades later, my father and I helped a friend of our's tend his booth at an air show. While we were setting up the booth the day before the show started, we meandered around to look at all the planes. Sure enough, the exact type of plane my grandfather flew in was there. I want to say it was a B-52 bomber. The Air Force gentleman invited us to take a look at the plane more closely. After explaining to him how my grandfather, and my Dad's Dad, flew in this type of plane in WWII he asked us if we wanted to see where my grandfather would have sat in the plane. Before he even finished the sentence, my father and I were racing up the ladder to get in the plane.

We, my father and I, were completely awe-struck. To sit where his Dad had sat. To sit where my grandfather had sat. To sit there and picture being shot at hundreds, if not thousands of feet in the air. Bombs exploding all around you. Seeing your buddy's plane going down in flames towards the earth.... It was certainly a surreal experience.

Again, thank you so much for sharing this. Ever since that experience with my Dad at the air show, I have been grabbing anything I can to educate myself more on what my grandfather went through.

Paul Sigrist
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I really appreciate you sharing your story, Paul. War is ugly but for some reason there is a certain glamor to it too. I can't imagine being at 20k+ feet and having anti-air bullets ripping through your fuselage and wings never knowing if the next one will be through your leg or worse.
Jaci
Master Debater

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:I'm currently reading the stories of men and women that lived through World War II and are still alive today. These aren't soldiers. They're citizens of various nations that lived through the war and have stepped forward to share their experiences.

This sounds most interesting. I think that when you can read what others have been through at a time that you did not live though it is just amazing. I will be sure to check it out.

Return to “Current Events & History”