• In total there are 41 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 41 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

How do you deal with Christmas?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: How do you deal with Christmas?

Unread post

I went to watch my son sing his preschool Christmas songs. I do love the music and cameraderie in church. Sometimes the perfume is a bit much, though.

What's wrong with the secret santa gift exchanges? I think it's a fun game.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Here, apart from the obvious religious holidays, every meeting or event starts wuth a prayer and the pretend washing of the face, and the chanting of amin, and so on. The Muslim elders are very kind, and tell me to pray in my own way. They would be shocked to know I don't pray, so I just copy them. Its a small price to pay
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

When people pray, I always like to look up; it's so much nicer. And I can't get caught because everyone else has head down, eyes closed. Since the reason everybody looks down is that Jesus reportedly said to pray that way, I can imagine him telling his followers to look up to the sky instead. It makes as much sense.

I wish I could go to church on occasion, since my wife belongs. But the last time I went, I left actually feeling worse. I couldn't say anything, sing anything, and this made me feel as though I were protesting or something and being disrespectful of the other people there. It has never made much sense to me, either, to go to church only on Christmas and Easter, as some otherwise non-relig people do. Those are the high holy days when the doubters should stay away, it seems to me.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Bowing the head is an act of submission. With regards to praying the person praying is expressing their submission to the deity.
literatureuniverse
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

:D How to deal with Christmas. That is a difficult one to answer, but here it goes. It only comes around once a year and you get to be with family unless you really cannot stand them then that is another story. But really this only comes one time a year to celebrate with family and friends. I don't know what your family does for the holiday, but you love them right? :)
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

reminds me of that old Stephen Fry story where the mormon is telling him that "when we die we are reunited with all our departed family members and get to be with them forever and ever...." to which Fry responds "yes, but what happens if we were good?"

:D

i'm just off for a chrissy lunch with family, let's see how it goes, it's usually fine to awesome.

Return to “Everything Else”