• In total there are 29 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Beginning Creative Writing: A Learning Experience

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
StephenPByers
Almost Comfortable

Beginning Creative Writing: A Learning Experience

Unread post

Beginning Creative Writing: A Learning Experience by Stephen P. Byers

The Theme of this book: Before writing a word of his/her story, the author learns how to establish guidelines that will keep him/her on track from beginning to end.

This book is based on the concept that everything we do in live is planned and young or old alike wanting to venture into writing fiction are no exception. It is comprised of four parts: Finding; Creating; Writing and Revising, the most important being the first wherein the Jack and Jill nursery rhyme serves as a starting point assigning characters to populate the story and imagining their interactions. In a few pages, it shows how to develop a plan involving ten characters and make a determination of a crucial scene and a climatic event that will lead to the final resolution of the story problem and resolve the characters’ conflicts. The rest of the book expands on this concept, includes other examples, writing instruction, and ends with a detailed appendix written by a student who followed the procedure. She developed a character-driven plot by identifying four main characters, their strengths, weaknesses, conflicts and problems, with a pathway to a defined end. She was then ready to put her imagination to work, writing her story without wasteful floundering about hoping to find her way. She knew from the beginning where she was going and how to get there. In essence, she imagined the story before she began.

Available in paperback or ebook format at http://www.booksbybyers.us and Amazon.com
Last edited by StephenPByers on Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Go into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God that shall be better than light and safer than a known way." (Minnie Louise Haskins (1875-1957)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Beginning Creative Writing: A Learning Experience

Unread post

Your book sounds like a great resource for aspiring authors.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: Beginning Creative Writing: A Learning Experience

Unread post

Your book sounds interesting. When I started writing, which was well before the Internet, even before word processors (I learned to type on a manual Royal office model), I assembled my own personal vade mecum. It was (1) A good dictionary (I used the "Webster's New Collegiate"), (2) "Roget's Thesaurus," (3) "Bartlett's Familiar Quotations," and (4) the "King James Bible" (specifically for its archaic and poetic language). I still have all four books, though not the same physical copies I first bought.

Thanks for inspiring this trip down memory lane.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”