• In total there are 23 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 22 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

General reader

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Nick2
Eligible to vote in book polls!

General reader

Unread post

Hello all,
I'm a long-term general reader interested in serious and civilized book discussions.
I try to avoid religion, politics and race-related topics but read for general enjoyment, both fiction and non-fiction.
I'm a retired male software engineer and have been on quite a few forums by now; so far, this looks like far and away the best.
Authors I have enjoyed reading include: St. Paul, Donne, Proust, Nabokov, V. Woolf, Faulkner, Joyce, Banville/Black, Salter, Beckett, Marias and Roth.
For lighter fare and escape: LeCarre, Deighton, and all of both McDonalds (Ross and John D).
I am still making up my mind about Pynchon.
Hobbies: chess, crypto, genealogy, reading (about 50 books a year), and writing (poetry and memoir).
This looks like a very extensive site, so I'll probably take some time just browsing about before joining in.
Best wishes to you all,
Have a nice day
NIck
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: General reader

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk! You sound like a pretty serious person. What caught my eye is that you are writing your memoir. I just published mine: "Desire and Red Wine, A Life's Journey" by Victoria Norvaisa. It has been an interesting adventure :)! I invite you to check out my website www.VictoriaNorvaisa.com
There is some bio information and my gallery.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Hi Nick,

Nice to meet you. :-)

And welcome to the community. Let me know if you have any questions.

Chris
Nick2

Unread post

Crystalline wrote:Welcome to BookTalk! You sound like a pretty serious person. What caught my eye is that you are writing your memoir. I just published mine: "Desire and Red Wine, A Life's Journey" by Victoria Norvaisa. It has been an interesting adventure :)! I invite you to check out my website http://www.VictoriaNorvaisa.com
There is some bio information and my gallery.
Hah, Crystalline, yes I suppose I am a rather serious sort of person -- not always a good thing on a forum.
Looked at your site and congratulations on your memoir's publication. It looks nice and is probably more interesting than my story by far -- born, school, work, marriage, family, retirement, all in the United States. And I see also that you are an accomplished artist. I enjoyed your work very much.

Thanks for your reply,
See you around here somewhere :)
Nick
Nick2

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Hi Nick,

Nice to meet you. :-)

And welcome to the community. Let me know if you have any questions.

Chris
Thanks for the welcome, Chris. As you'll notice elsewhere, I've been fiddling to make the site more readable to my older eyes. Finally have it about right, except that seeing the red titles is still difficult for me. I could wish for a different color more visible to color-blind (or partially color-blind) people.

But, overall, thanks for a very interesting looking forum.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Nick, embelish...embelish...embelish...and put a lot of emotion and feeling in your memoir. I have two male friends who are writing their memoirs and have given me a few chapters to read...both books sound like dry, historical accounts of their lives. So much for some unsolicited advice from a totally inexperienced writer...chuckle :)!!!
Nick2

Unread post

Crystalline wrote:Nick, embelish...embelish...embelish...and put a lot of emotion and feeling in your memoir. I have two male friends who are writing their memoirs and have given me a few chapters to read...both books sound like dry, historical accounts of their lives. So much for some unsolicited advice from a totally inexperienced writer...chuckle :)!!!
Definitely agree with you there, Crystalline. A history of my life it will not be! I hope. (Rule #1).
Last edited by Nick2 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alceu
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

hello nick
nice to meet you

Return to “Everything Else”