• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

"The Nose", Nikolai Gogol

A dedicated forum for discussing and celebrating your favorite short stories and short story authors.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

"The Nose", Nikolai Gogol

Unread post

THE NOSE
Nikolai Gogol
“Nos” (1836; “The Nose”) is one of Gogol's best known as well as most perplexing and enigmatic stories. The story recounts an incident in which a petty Russian official wakes one morning to find that his nose is missing from his face; he later encounters the nose riding around Petersburg in a carriage, dressed as a government official. While “The Nose” was regarded as a humorous but trivial anecdote for almost a century, critics in the twentieth century variously interpreted the tale as a social satire on Russian culture, a Marxist critique of socioeconomic class, a psychosexual fantasy, and a meta-narrative about the process of storytelling. “The Nose” was first published in 1836, in the journal Sovremennik (The Contemporary), edited by the Russian writer Alexandr Pushkin; the first publication to which Gogol submitted “The Nose” rejected it on the grounds that it was vulgar. In its early drafts, the story was entitled “The Dream,” and the entire plot was written as a chimera; the title in Russian, “Nos,” spelled backwards is son, the Russian word for dream. “The Nose” was adapted as an opera of the same title by the Russian composer Dmitri Shostakovich and first performed in Leningrad in 1930.
http://www.enotes.com/short-story-criti ... olai-gogol
reader2121
Experienced

Re: "The Nose", Nikolai Gogol

Unread post

I just finished reading this. I interpret the short story as a serch for social place in a heavily structured society. I like Gogol better than Tolstoy. The latter seems more concerned with morality. Gogol is crazy and fun and magical.
Last edited by reader2121 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

I haven't read the Gogol story yet, but soon . . .
-Geo
Question everything
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

reader2121 wrote:I just finished reading this. I interpret the short story as a serch for social place in a heavily structured society. I like Gogol better than Tolstoy. The latter seems more concerned with morality. Gogol is crazy and fun and magical.
I am pretty much with you, reader. Gogol was know as a critic of Russian bureaucracy. We seem to have a bureaucrat who is desperately seeking the only thing that matters to such, his appearance. of normalcy
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
icindy
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

thanks! going to read this nOW! hey, one in return...Eudora Welty's short story "A Worn Path"....Heartstopping...
Rita McBride
Master Debater

Unread post

I read it years ago! Thanks for reminding me. I also thought that it was social commentary. After all, the nose becomes more successful than him. Does this have anything to do with its possibly being a 'brown nose'? I wonder if this expression also exists in Russian.
LyndaO
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I haven't read anything by Gogol either but I'm going to start soon.
I want to find out if the petty Russian Official 'cut off his nose to spite his face'.

(...I couldn't resist!)

Return to “Short Story Discussions”