• In total there are 19 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Are writers usually weak in personality terms

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Norah Davex
Getting Comfortable

Are writers usually weak in personality terms

Unread post

do writers usually have it bad
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: Are writers usually weak in personality terms

Unread post

Yeah, if they're really bad.
DamianLake
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

I've come to know a few writers, and when I worked in a Barnes & Noble I had the chance to meet dozens when they came to the store for book signings. Just like any other cross-section of humanity, they vary from person to person. There are a few who seem rather beaten down or weak in terms of personality, but there are just as many outgoing and bold ones. I've met unassuming women who write action thrillers and an ex-special forces commando who writes romance. It is really hard to tell anything about an author by their work.
Norah Davex
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Oh wow DamianLake. I wonder which writers you know. How are they beaten down or weak but then the ones who write action thrillers are unassuming? That is nice. I am an aspiring writer (just a freelance writer) I have been writing articles for various employers and ezine but nothing major. I am also working on a novel which I hope to get published.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

That surprised me too, Damien.
In a book currently under discussion, ‘Evolutionary Psychology’ Robin Dunbar proposes that ‘Writers’ ability to create meaningful and evocative stories probably depends on two key features. One is to observe the hidden reality of everyday life (what makes us tick, what issues really exercise us): stories that do not have some direct relevance to our own struggles with life simply fail to engage. The other is the writers’ ability to recognize the audiences cognitive limitations.’ … ‘Since fifth order intentionality represents the upper limits for natural human abilities, this may explain why most of us can appreciate a good story – but the ability to write them is surprisingly rare.’ (Shakespeare needed to run to sixth order)
So perhaps it is talent rather than personality?
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Rita McBride
Master Debater

Unread post

From what I read and know, I believe writers may be me more solitary than most people, but certainly don't suffer from weak personalities. Some notable strong-personality writers: Churchill (yes, he was a writer, too, and in fact made a decent living off it), Hemingway, Toni Morrison, Agatha Christie, Mary Shelly. The list is endless. Artists in general -- and I know this doesn't include all writers -- tend to have oversized personalities.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

DamianLake wrote: I've met unassuming women who write action thrillers and an ex-special forces commando who writes romance.
:lol: love it :D

if you are left incomplete by the world you find yourself in then simply write another.

Return to “Everything Else”