• In total there are 22 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 22 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire"

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire"

Unread post

there ya go. different tastes for different folks.

I recommended skipping the first book altogether...

Why not? Give it a shot, if you don't like the first book, though, don't write off the whole series. In my opinion, it gets much better after that.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

When I say King's "usual style of sprawl," I should clarify that I still like his writing a lot. The first book is probably a different flavor than the rest of the series and Johnson's suggestion probably makes sense. It makes me want to go ahead with the second book now. Thanks, Johnson. It's not like I'm looking for things to read. :x
-Geo
Question everything
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

tell me about it.

After finishing each book i look at my shelves and dread.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I know I am coming to this thread belatedly, but I just started reading "A Game of Thrones" (our library just got all four books in the "Ice and Fire" set). My experience in fantasy is limited (I usually prefer science fiction), and personally, my favorite is "Lord of the Rings." Hey, tastes differ. I did read the entire Dark Tower series, and didn't really like the ending either. Anyway, after LOTR, I found most fantasy to be just a lukewarm clone. But... Game of Thrones is different; I picked it up just to see if I would like it, and am hooked.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Martin has said he tries to subvert expectations.

A character dies and you think, well then, it's definitely up to this next character to avenge that first death, but nope... it doesn't work out that way.

Funny that we expect things to shake out so cleanly in a book when it almost never happens that way in reality. people who deserve justice don't get it, bankers torpedo the economy, then get raises...

Why are we shocked when that happens in our books?
-Guillermo Del Torro

Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Why are we shocked when that happens in our books?
I think it is because we read fiction in an attempt to get us away from reality for a while. A friend of mine once said, "If I want to see the bad guys win, I'll just watch the six o'clock news." :?
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I am now well into "A Clash of Kings," Book Two in the series. While I have yet to find anyone I would consider a hero, :( there are plenty of villains to go around. :twisted:

youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever is a fantasy trilogy by Stephen R. Donaldson.

a netizen known as Seth at goodreads describes it thusly

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1790 ... Unbeliever
This series is somewhat infamous: it's widely regarded as brilliant (which it is), it's widely considered depressing (which it can be), the hero is often unappealing (which is the point), and many find the trilogy at least 25% too long (which is true). Plus, the follow-on trilogy tells almost the same story with almost the same point to it.

So, what's the fuss about?

Covenant isn't "Tolkien with the serial numbers filed off." That it holds together with a complete fantasy story in a clear, magical...
might be worth a quick look, i read it when i was quite young and loved it.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”