• In total there are 49 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 48 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What made today bad

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Aomame
Book Nut

Re: What made today bad

Unread post

Olivia, I hope you recover soon! Lot's of hot soup, good books and a warm bed!!
Currently Reading:
Orhan Pamuk: My Name is Red/G.K. Chesterton: The Man Who Was Thursday/Jared Diamond: The World Until Yesterday/Bill Lauritzen: the Invention of God/Michail Bulgakow: The Master and Margarita/Laurence Sterne: Tristram Shandy/Leonardo Padura: The Havana Quartet/Thomas Mann: The Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family/Robert Rowland Smith: Breakfast with Socrates

Recently Finished:
Baratunde Thurston: How to Be Black/Norah Vincent: Self-Made Man/Elizabeth George: Well-Schooled in Murder

New on the shelf:
John Jeremiah Sullivan: Pulphead/Alex Vilenkin: Many Worlds in One/Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace/Joseph Conrad: Lord Jim/Neil Shubin: Your Inner Fish/Penn Jillette: Everyday Day is an Atheist Holiday
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

Aomame- thank you. I'm finally starting to feel better.
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

I had my first wedding related argument with my mom. Lol. I expect this to be the first of many. I want to wear a dress that is a color other than white and my mom really hates the idea. I kept saying "it's my wedding" and she would say "you're denying your mother the opportunity to see you walk down the aisle in a white gown". I look horrible in white! It makes me looked washed out. Plus I did some research and the whole white gown thing is a relatively new tradition so if I got married in a gown of some other color I would really be doing the actual traditional thing. Actually all the stuff I read about wedding gowns was very interesting. Still... grrr...

Ok my rant is done now.
Last edited by Olivia22 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Just tell her white is for virgins only! :D I'm sure she'll understand... :>
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Olivia22 wrote:I had my first wedding related argument with my mom.
you can argue about it !?!?!?! how i wish i had known, i just did what i was told, i had no idea i was entitled to have a say in anything that happened at my wedding! (except of course the main thing, choice of Bride and what a choice it turned out to be!)
Aomame
Book Nut

Unread post

.... oh I know what you are going through. If it becomes too much, think loudly in front of her about the option to marry barefoot on a remote beach, just you, your love and a reverend. Believe me, it helps :-)
Currently Reading:
Orhan Pamuk: My Name is Red/G.K. Chesterton: The Man Who Was Thursday/Jared Diamond: The World Until Yesterday/Bill Lauritzen: the Invention of God/Michail Bulgakow: The Master and Margarita/Laurence Sterne: Tristram Shandy/Leonardo Padura: The Havana Quartet/Thomas Mann: The Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family/Robert Rowland Smith: Breakfast with Socrates

Recently Finished:
Baratunde Thurston: How to Be Black/Norah Vincent: Self-Made Man/Elizabeth George: Well-Schooled in Murder

New on the shelf:
John Jeremiah Sullivan: Pulphead/Alex Vilenkin: Many Worlds in One/Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace/Joseph Conrad: Lord Jim/Neil Shubin: Your Inner Fish/Penn Jillette: Everyday Day is an Atheist Holiday
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

Alright fellow book lovers. I have something very serious to complain about and I'm hoping to find some understanding here since none of my non-reading friends get why I'm so upset. I've been reading the Sookie Stackhouse series since the beginning. I have them all in hardback and I re-read them every other year. The last Sookie book is coming out in just a couple of weeks. Well a person in Germany got a hold of an advanced copy of the book. This person then proceeded to spoiler the end of the book... well the end of the series! I didn't know this so I get on twitter and think nothing of it. People had posted spoilers all over twitter. I managed to close out before I saw too many but one of the few I saw was a big one! I'm so angry! I haven't been reading this series for 12 almost 13 years to have the ending ruined before I can even get a copy of the book in my hands!
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

I received some very sad news this weekend. My cat, who I've since the day he was born 16 years ago, was diagnosed with advanced kidney failure. So at the end of the week we are going to have to let him go. This has been very hard for me. He is my baby.

My mom used to foster cats. She was fostering a pregnant kitty once and she was with us when she gave birth. She had four precious kittens. My cat is one of those kittens. He was the first to venture away from the mama cat. He came right up to me and meowed. We've been together ever since. We ended up taking all the kittens and kept the mama cat. My mom kept the mama and one of the kittens. My dad took one of the kittens. My brother took the other one. My cat is last one who is still left. So this isn't just hard for me. It's also hard for my family. This family of kitties were/are very special to us. It's extremely hard to be losing the last of them. :cry:
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I am so sorry about your kittie Olivia. 16 years, wow, what a wonderful and full life he has had! I know how difficult this will be for you, so happy you are taking time to say goodbye. I had to say goodbye to my beloved cat who lived to be 18. I will always miss him, but all the memories are little treasures. You will have these treasures too, they last a lifetime. You are a wonderful kittie mom Olivia. I will be thinking of you both.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Olivia, I am sorry to learn of your companion animal's distress. In my life I have had many dogs and cats, some of whom lived longer than others. If your cat is in pain, try to think of what you are doing as the final kindness.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Everything Else”