• In total there are 55 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 54 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Gunslinger - Stephen King

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
VicCast
Creative Writing Student

The Gunslinger - Stephen King

Unread post

I have always wanted to read the entire Dark Tower series and I have deemed this Summer as good as any to get started. So far I love it and cannot wait to start book 2!
Author of:
"Tommy The Courageous Bird" - A children's picture book about a bird that is afraid of heights
Tommy The Courageous Bird
Tommy is also Available on Amazon.com
http://thred.me/RURm5W Let's turn Tommy into an e-book!!!
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: The Gunslinger - Stephen King

Unread post

I have read all seven books... Took me a while, but I made it. The opening of the first book is (to me) one of the greatest 'hook' lines in literature...

"The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed..."
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
VicCast
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Cattleman wrote:I have read all seven books... Took me a while, but I made it. The opening of the first book is (to me) one of the greatest 'hook' lines in literature...

"The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed..."
Right?! How could you not want to find out who the man in black is and why he is being followed. So good.
Author of:
"Tommy The Courageous Bird" - A children's picture book about a bird that is afraid of heights
Wade Garret
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

It was good. Wished the end had sorted itself out another way, but that's just me.
I read the comics too.
Enjoy.

wjgarret.blogspot.com
VicCast
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Wade Garret wrote:It was good. Wished the end had sorted itself out another way, but that's just me.
I read the comics too.
Enjoy.

wjgarret.blogspot.com
I actually just looked at the comics on my iPad the other day. I'll check them out after I'm done with the books.

As for the ending, I'll let you know my thoughts when I finish the series.
Author of:
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

If you are enjoying the gunslinger, then you are in for a treat.

I really thought the gunslinger was the weakest of this series. He wrote that one when he was 19, so it doesn't benefit from the experience he gained between that and "drawing of the three". It really picks up in that book.

The series is a little un-even, given how long he was working on it, and where he was coming from at all those different times in his life, but i still consider the dark tower and the interplay between that story and all the rest of his work, to be SK's master work.

It's fun to read other SK work and find all the references to the dark tower.

Are you familiar with the connections to his other work, like the stand, insomnia, the mist, talisman, dragon's eyes, salem's lot and the rest?

That's what i really enjoyed, was discovering all those little (and not so little) connections.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
VicCast
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:If you are enjoying the gunslinger, then you are in for a treat.

Are you familiar with the connections to his other work, like the stand, insomnia, the mist, talisman, dragon's eyes, salem's lot and the rest?

That's what i really enjoyed, was discovering all those little (and not so little) connections.
Hello johnson1010.

If the Gunslinger is the weakest of the series I may just explode when I read the rest of the books. lol.

I have heard about there being 'connections' but I have no idea what they are exactly. I do look forward to finding them out at some point. Thanks for giving me a starting point with the books mentioned above.

I guess I have a lot of reading ahead of me!

Thanks for all your insight johnson1010.
Author of:
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I'm currently listening to The Stand on audiobook, and wonder at the wandering man, Randall Flagg. Is he the man in black? My memory of the Dark Tower has faded, perhaps I need to reread them all.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Stephen king spoilers below.

Randal Flag is the man in black, and that character has shown up in a few of SK's works.

I didn't like how he was handled toward the end of the Dark Tower. A bit of sound and fury signifying nothing there...
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Return to “What are you currently reading?”