• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Interent Piracy

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
JeremyBenson
Gaining experience

Interent Piracy

Unread post

Hey,

I've recently written a book about internet piracy. This is a topic for discussion. I figured since it was the books theme it wouldn't hurt to talk to people about it.

What are your views on piracy, and how do you think laws should change?

American and Canadian companies, governments, and internet service providers have been making lists in the millions of those who have pirated. What they plan on doing with those lists— at large— has been kept secret, although some companies have suggested that a 6 strike rule should be imposed where repeat offenders get banned from internet service... Quite a big deal.

Did anyone not know that right clicking an image and saving it to your desktop was considered piracy if no permission was granted? (illegal transfer and duplication)

Also are you aware that many major companies can track such downloads, including internet service providers?

I've also heard it said that an internet service provider can see all requests take place, as your computer's personal ID makes the request, and then data is sent to you via that request.

I find it odd that people either forgot about piracy or didn't care enough they just thought they would get away with it for ever, but businesses have been watching it happen and they're not happy about. Internet is in its infancy, having only been around—as we know it today— for roughly 20 some years. Businesses seem to be still looking at this wide spread pandemic of piracy as if it were in its infancy as well, but they are at large eager to squash it. Remember this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my personal recommendation for changes in the law. I think that since 90% of online users have committed piracy of one kind or another we should consider a few changes to law before the future crackdown on piracy. Most people have played burnt CDs in their cars so I think that this should be excused. Also images should be excused when right clicked and downloaded. We should be able to take images from the web but NOT use them. It's not fair to pick a million people, or 1000 out of those million, and make an example out of them when they already know most the rest of the world has already done the same thing. This is embarrassing and ridiculous human behavior (considering that we're talking about a few images, and mp3s, not murder.)

I know that piracy is far harder on underground writers, musicians, and people just starting out in their businesses, so why not make the law in some cases more in their favor than those that are already rich?

-Not okay to pirate software.
-Okay to download and save images, and text, but not use it (since it has already been provided online)
-Not okay to illegally download music (but if its already in your possession fine. There's so much burnt music why waste it all.)

^ What would be so wrong with the above suggested changes?

Would love to hear from people with the same views on piracy, or input of their own, so fell free to comment and share :)
Check out 'Philosophies of Self-Publishing: Better Business' a truly unique read for self-publishing enthusiasts.
Amazon USA
Amazon Canada
Also my site:
http://www.jeremy-benson.com

Return to “Everything Else”