• In total there are 14 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

New Book--The Ideal in the West

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
dabeardsley
Official Newbie!

New Book--The Ideal in the West

Unread post

I am the author of a book titled The Ideal in the West, which I offer for your consideration. If you are anything like me, you had the requisite Philosophy 101 at school and then promptly forgot the whole thing, probably put off by the "smarter than thou" attitude of many academic philosophers. I had the good fortune to return to it later in life with fresh eyes and I think a deeper understanding of what philosophers, "lovers of wisdom," particularly those in the Western Ideal tradition, were really trying to say.
This book is the result of that study. I've tried to write it for the general reader, and emphasize the universal and practical nature of these teachings, which come from some of the most fascinating periods in history--ancient Greece, Imperial Rome, the Florentine Renaissance, 19th century America. In addition to the historical overview, there are chapters showing how these timeless teachings can be put to use in our times to achieve happier, more satisfying lives. No need to go to the East for your spiritual uplift (not that there's anything wrong with that). The Ideal tradition, expressed through dialogue and myth, can show us the way to a deeper understanding of ourselves and the world around us.
In addition, I am now writing a series of short books/extended essays for Kindle only on various topics related to the Ideal tradition.
You can see all the works at my author pagehttp://amazon.com/author/davidabeardsley
Thanks for your consideration. "We are all in Love in the same way that we are all in air. Don't forget to breathe."

David A. Beardsley

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”