• In total there are 38 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Censorship at Public Libraries

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
GreatSpirit
Almost Comfortable

Censorship at Public Libraries

Unread post

I donated copies of my book, "Revelations of the Great Spirit" to two libraries, and they accepted the book.

However, when I tried to donate a copy of my book to the Monroe County Public Library, in Bloomington, IN, since I attended Indiana University, they refused to accept my book. Since the public that visits said library are being denied the right to choose my book or not, I consider this to be censorship.

I was told that in order for them to accept my book, it had to be reviewed by one of three organizations that I never heard of before, namely Library Review, Publishers Weekly, or Kirkus Reviews. Library Review only reviews books BEFORE they are published, and the other two charge an exorbitant fee.
Apparently these organizations somehow are censors for most of the new books purchased by libraries in the United States. But I was not trying to sell my book.

Here is a quote from the Monroe County Public Library "Collection Policy"

"MCPL strives to collect materials representing different viewpoints. The library recognizes some materials may be considered controversial and may offend some users. Inclusion of questionable language or attitudes in materials is not in itself a reason to exclude them from the collection. Materials should not be proscribed or removed because of partisan or doctrinal disapproval. Materials which represent only one point of view may be selected to provide necessary alternatives to other material. The existence of a particular viewpoint in the collection is not an endorsement of that particular point of view, but an expression of the library's adherence to the principles of intellectual freedom."

So if you want to know why they have such a lofty statement of purpose, and then censored my book, go figure! The first 53 pages of my book were available for them to preview on the internet before they "strived" to make a decision.

Then the story gets worse, so I posted a video on youtube, entitled "Censoring the word Censored", which you can view at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h9nSrqLNeE&feature=plcp

Any comments, particularly relating similar experiences by other writers would be appreciated.

Return to “Current Events & History”