• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

I've finished Fatelessness

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
mackayzine
Official Newbie!

I've finished Fatelessness

Unread post

:?
After reading this post modern novel, several questions pop up in my mind
-Can reality be so relative? can happiness be found in a concentration camp?
The protagonist suffers deprivation in many forms: freedom, hunger, medical care, etc. He is also discriminated within the prisoners and forced to work long hours in total uncertainty.
I would like to discuss the title: Fatelessness
On page 259 Georg states:
"I made it clear to them that we can never start a new life, only ever carry on the old one. I took the steps, no one else, and I declared that I have been true to my given fate throughout."
We could infer that he (a teenager) believes in every experience in a source of learning to build the type of person you are. Later on the same page he questions himself: "Why did they not wish to acknowledge that if there is such a thing as fate, then freedom is not possible?..()..--if there is such a thing as freedom, then there is no fate; that is to say--and I paused, but only long enough to catch my breath--that it to say, then we ourselves are fate, i realized all at once, but with a flash of clarity I had never experienced before"

I think this idea of living each step at the time to experience our fate or freedom (depending on the way we want to take it) also refers to understand that life, meaning happiness, pain, deprivation or joy happen in each minute, not in the past or the future.
arukiyomi
Master Debater

Re: I've finished Fatelessness

Unread post

I reviewed this when I read it a couple of years ago
http://johnandsheena.co.uk/books/?p=1664

I don't see why happiness cannot be found in a concentration camp anymore than depression can be found when you have every need met. Emotions are so very subjective.

And I think our present experience of happiness is very much shaped not only by our memories of the past but also what our vision of our future is too.
mackayzine
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Thank you for you reply and link. I it is interesting to see how effective kertesz is in provoking the reader. Gyuri teaches us another perspective of what fate is! I hope my students can get and reflect upon this ideas...
Carla
arukiyomi
Master Debater

Unread post

and it's all the more remarkable a book because it is written by a survivor of the camps themselves. Only a survivor could dare to say such things like “I would like to live a little bit longer in this beautiful concentration camp.”
afv

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Official Newbie!

Unread post

There are several books from concentration camps survivor. One of the things that makes this book unique is that is narrated by a 15-year old

Return to “What are you currently reading?”