• In total there are 25 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 25 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Did Jesus Exist - Bart Ehrman's new book

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Re: Did Jesus Exist - Bart Ehrman's new book

Unread post

Ah, the ol' theodicy problem. (at least that where I'm assuming Ehrman is coming from). I'll get the book; have only read his slashing of Dan Brown and a commentary on the New Testament. @ Heledd: this is the forum on religion and Phil, so all talk about religion is justified.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

It is a book that is getting a lot of attention among those like me who are fascinated by the question of the historical existence of Jesus Christ. No one has suggested it be nominated as an official Book Talk selection. I have no plan to buy or read it, as the summary that Ehrman provided in his Huffington Post article put me off it quite badly, as I explain in my comments above.

It is a cultural debate that conceals a lot of subterranean ideology around identity and belief. Exploring the hidden motives and agendas presents an intriguing opportunity for social analysis. Why Ehrman, who had been a pinup boy for rational theology, presented this amazing apostasy against reason will continue to be a source of lively debate.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Really fed up with all the talk about religion
Do you know what the solution to the above is?
It's quite simple - don't participate in something you are not interested in. Although I disagree with most of Robert's conclusions related to this topic, he is nevertheless very knowledgeable in the area and I enjoy examining his thoughts.
Last edited by ant on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:
ant wrote:convieniently ignor historical evidence that does not suit your views
ant, I have long been a great admirer of Jesus Christ and still am. The dogmatists who contort the eternal archetype by believing a historical fiction are the ones who fail to admire the true story. They have nefarious political motives and no integrity. Belief in the Historical Jesus is the new fundamentalism.

I don't ignore evidence. It is the historicists who ignore the total lack of real evidence for Jesus, and the clear evidence for his invention. Philo represented the Jewish people in an Embassy to Rome in 40 AD. Josephus was the commander of Jewish military forces in Galilee in the mid first century. We have extensive writings from both of them, with no reliable mention of Jesus, who was supposedly "famed far and wide". Saint Paul omits anything that would confirm he is 2IC to the founder of the religion. It is all a crock.

The Gospels are pure fiction. "Famed far and wide" has the same zero status as "walked on water", "rose from the dead", "born of a virgin" and "lived in Nazareth" (which was only established later because the Bible said Jesus lived there).

When people start to recognise the Bible as the greatest work of literary genius in world history we will start to have a serious debate about religion. While people pretend it is historical fact they are mired in delusion.

Re Osiris, if you want to know about the continuity between Christian myth and ancient Egypt I recommend you read Christ In Egypt by DM Murdock. I note Ehrman reserves particular vitriol for Murdock, and is entirely sloppy and wrong in his refusal to engage on serious scholarship regarding the topics she writes about. There is a weird psychological and political process going on here, rather like how the Church Fathers whipped themselves in a lather in order to suppress Gnosticism.
Okay, Robert, first things first;
Please explain to me how you treat historical evidence.
What are the differences between the treatment/examination of historical evidence vs scientific evidence? What do we have to work with when examining ancient history in comparison to the examination of the natural world that we can examine in real time?
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote: I have no plan to buy or read it, as the summary that Ehrman provided in his Huffington Post article put me off it quite badly, as I explain in my comments above.

Why Ehrman, who had been a pinup boy for rational theology, presented this amazing apostasy against reason will continue to be a source of lively debate.
Exactly the reason why I would actually like reading it, Robert. And some books are so poorly written (argued) that they actually make for fun reading. I do suspect, however, that Ehrman is jumping on the Did Jesus Exist bandwagon. I noticed that it seems to be a popular topic for online adult continuing education courses.

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I do suspect, however, that Ehrman is jumping on the Did Jesus Exist bandwagon
That's a hilarious presumption.

Ehrman indicates that the mythicist angle is so poorly represented by non academics that proclaim themselves as scholars in the field of ancient history, and that he receives hundreds of emails from mythicists to respond to their claims that he thought it would be appropriate at this time to respond.

The mythicist angle is similar to a fad that pops its head up every 20 years or so.
It is nothing new or original. It simply is dismissed each and every time because the evidence claims are either shallow or completely baseless and the conspiratorial stories are, well.., conspiratorial.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

ant wrote:[

Probably. Like I said, I need to read the book, not just the article.So, as we say here in Germany, I've made "nails with heads" and ordered the book. I'm without internet for 3 weeks so will make some (hopefully intelligent) comment about it when I'm back online.

ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

oblivion wrote:
ant wrote:[

Probably. Like I said, I need to read the book, not just the article.So, as we say here in Germany, I've made "nails with heads" and ordered the book. I'm without internet for 3 weeks so will make some (hopefully intelligent) comment about it when I'm back online.
I have it on my IPhone! 8)
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Ehrman is right that the mythicists represent a fringe position. That doesn't mean they're right or wrong, just that most credible historians and scholars do indeed accept Jesus as a historical figure.

I am surprised at the tone of Ehrman's article though. He certainly seems to be foaming at the mouth. What's he have to feel so threatened about?

I do have some questions with regards to the following claims.
With respect to Jesus, we have numerous, independent accounts of his life in the sources lying behind the Gospels (and the writings of Paul) -- sources that originated in Jesus' native tongue Aramaic and that can be dated to within just a year or two of his life (before the religion moved to convert pagans in droves). Historical sources like that are is pretty astounding for an ancient figure of any kind. Moreover, we have relatively extensive writings from one first-century author, Paul, who acquired his information within a couple of years of Jesus' life and who actually knew, first hand, Jesus' closest disciple Peter and his own brother James. If Jesus did not exist, you would think his brother would know it.

Moreover, the claim that Jesus was simply made up falters on every ground. The alleged parallels between Jesus and the "pagan" savior-gods in most instances reside in the modern imagination: We do not have accounts of others who were born to virgin mothers and who died as an atonement for sin and then were raised from the dead (despite what the sensationalists claim ad nauseum in their propagandized versions).
Paul's writings seem less than decisive on the question of Jesus as a historical figure and, anyway, he's not very trustworthy. He definitely had an agenda. What are these other numerous independent accounts that come within a year or two of Jesus' life?

The last paragraph quoted also seems highly suspect. There are, in fact, many unusual birth traditions that predate Christ. And since a virgin birth is impossible, this aspect of the Christ story is definitely myth, so it makes no sense to use is as an argument for Jesus as a historical figure.

I don't really have a horse in this race, but based on this article alone, I wouldn't be inclined to read Ehrman's new book.
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Another passage from the article.
Why then is the mythicist movement growing, with advocates so confident of their views and vocal -- even articulate -- in their denunciation of the radical idea that Jesus actually existed? It is, in no small part, because these deniers of Jesus are at the same time denouncers of religion -- a breed of human now very much in vogue. And what better way to malign the religious views of the vast majority of religious persons in the western world, which remains, despite everything, overwhelmingly Christian, than to claim that the historical founder of their religion was in fact the figment of his followers' imagination?
This argument may be true of some mythicists. If Jesus didn't exist, it certainly makes Christianity look very silly. The only problem is that you can't prove that Jesus didn't exist based on lack of evidence. (You can't prove a negative.) The mythicists do make a bit of noise, but they will never have an ironclad case. And those who take their (Christian) faith seriously are never going to be convinced that Jesus wasn't a historical person. Indeed, they believe that he was the Son of God, that he was born of a virgin, and that he performed miracles. Who's going to try to convince believers that he wasn't a historical person? So if this is indeed one of mythicists' subconscious motives, it's never going to be very effective.
-Geo
Question everything

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”