• In total there are 42 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 42 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Bookstasted says hello

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
bookstasted
Getting Comfortable

Bookstasted says hello

Unread post

Hi! My name is Beth and I live in the Triangle area of North Carolina, USA. I love to read but never seem to have enough time between work, grad school, and family. :x In an effort to keep up with my reading, I post to a book review blog, http://www.bookstasted.com. I look forward to discussing books with y'all on these forums!

I like a wide variety of books and authors. Some of my favorite authors are Toni Morrison, Christopher Moore, Neil Gaiman, Laurie Notaro, Ayun Halliday, Jane Austen, Lee Smith, Sarah Vowell, and Alison Weir.

Since blowing the dust off my blog, I've been searching for new places to discuss books, and a quick Google search for "Book discussion forums" led me here! :)
My Book Review Blog: http://www.bookstasted.com
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Re: Bookstasted says hello

Unread post

Happy to have you here. Welcome!
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Welcome. I've read the Octavia Butler book Parable of the Sower, that you mention on your blog, and enjoyed it enough to pick it up again years later. It's currently occuping one of the prime spots on my No. 1 bookshelf and could very well be picked up next after Tolstoy is finished.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
bookstasted
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

@Kevin, thanks for checking out my blog! I haven't read that book in years, but remember loving it. I might have to read it again, after I get through the backlog of new stuff sitting on my bookshelf.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk.org. :)
Mitya
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Bonjour Beth, I think you'll find the pace in these parts quite conducive to your purposes.

As for this Neil Gaiman guy, one day I find out he's married Amanda Palmer, and overnight it seems every other reader likes him and I'm playing catch-up with the latest cultural phenomenon.
bookstasted
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Mitya wrote:As for this Neil Gaiman guy, one day I find out he's married Amanda Palmer, and overnight it seems every other reader likes him and I'm playing catch-up with the latest cultural phenomenon.
LOL. I've liked Neil Gaiman for a long time, and this Amanda Palmer thing was a surprise to me, (1) because he used to be married to someone else and (2) I had no idea who Amanda Palmer is. Did that really make him more popular?
Mitya
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

bookstasted wrote:LOL. I've liked Neil Gaiman for a long time, and this Amanda Palmer thing was a surprise to me, (1) because he used to be married to someone else and (2) I had no idea who Amanda Palmer is. Did that really make him more popular?
I left a lot of room for misinterpretation in my post. I'm sure more people have learned of Palmer through Gaiman than vice versa. My own first encounter with Gaiman was atypical(i.e. via the Dresden Dolls frontwoman), and sums up how out of the loop I am regarding his work.

Return to “Everything Else”