• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Who is Orson Scott Card?

#25: April - June 2006 (Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Who is Orson Scott Card?

Unread post

Quote:I won't be reading his non-fiction concerning gay marriage, because I simply do not care what people think about it. It is such a no-brainer to me... it has nothing to do with anyone, other than the couple involved. People should just keep their noses out of other people's business, unless they are hurting someone. My philosophy is simple: love is love, no matter what shapes, sizes, colors, or genders are involved. (sorry, this is probably not the proper place for that)Beautifully worded. I agree completely.
Kevbw309
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

He also wrote the dialogue for the computer game The Dig, which was later adapted into a book.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

I too was a bit surprised that the author of a series which tries REALLy hard to get us to realize that personhood could come in a variety of very strange and different forms somehow has a problem with gay people.

Reading his fiction, i would never have pegged him for it.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Good thread, Chris!

We should have more of these.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Ender's Game is a worthwhile read regardless of the author's personal convictions. I think you have to be careful going down that track. I've heard some people say that they won't read China Mieville because of his political beliefs. Fact is, we don't know the personal convictions of many of our favorite authors and someone can be a good thinker and, yet, still hold some personal conviction that we find repulsive. It doesn't mean we should dismiss all of that author's work. That said, I'll have to admit I've been trying to dump one of my rare books by author Vincent O'Sullivan after finding out that he was a pedophile.
-Geo
Question everything
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

True, Geo.

I'll go buy the next ender's game book when it comes out. It's deinitely a series people should look into.

Rick james kept a woman hostage as a sex slave. I still love "Mary Jane".

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-08-09/ ... rick-james

Makes you wonder. WAS she a super-freak? or did rick james FORCE her be a super freak? haha, okay, we're getting a bit wide of the topic with that one.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Return to “Ender's Game - by Orson Scott Card”