• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

alice miller - the drama of the gifted child

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
blueRain
Official Newbie!

alice miller - the drama of the gifted child

Unread post

I read this book and it affected me deeply. Miller brings up many examples of patients who suffered from sexual, physical, and/or emotional abuse during childhood. Many times her short stories were quite extreme. But then she tells this story about a little boy who's parents are eating ice cream and they won't let him have some. They even go as far as to tease him and make it seem like it's not a big deal. The little boy feels humiliated and disrespected while the parents think it's funny. This incident represents mild abuse which can have serious consequences later on in life. Moreover, it relates to everyone. So basically, I'm wondering if any of you have read her book and what your experience was like after reading it. For me, it was as if I removed a veil. Now I try to uncover certain events from the past that I've repressed for many years. It's a brutal process, but it's also a self-therapy that can be truly beneficial.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”