• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Please "check in" here!

#140: Aug. - Oct. 2015 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Please "check in" here!

Unread post

Will you be participating in the discussion of "The Post-American World: Release 2.0" by Fareed Zakaria?

If so please "check in" by making a brief post in this thread letting us know you're planning to join the discussion. Checking in let's other members know that they aren't alone in this book discussion.

You may have ordered your book and are waiting on it to arrive. Or perhaps you have your book already but plan to do some reading before you start posting in this book forum. Well, there is no way for other members to know that you plan to participate unless you tell them. So please make a quick post here and let us know we can expect to hear more from you at some point. Doing so helps motivate other people to buy the book and join the discussion. :-)
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Re: Please "check in" here!

Unread post

Yo, I'm in.

If you need a discussion leader, I'll give it a shot.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

I'm in.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Thanks, Dexter!

And thank you to both of you for "checking in." I'm going to start doing a check in thread for each book discussion.
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

Unread post

I'm in. But, I've just ordered the book and frequently wait up to two weeks or more to receive books from used book sellers in the U.S. I'm in Canada.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

This sounds like a good idea to establish who is going to participate, so nice thinking Chris. I'll discuss the book, too. Just a little bit of familiarity with Zakaria at this point. He writes a column for the Washington Post that I sometimes read. I'm probably not alone in needing to get my head out of the sand as far as America's diminishing role in the world is concerned.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Chris,
Thanks for the heads up. I'm in. I just have to download it onto my Kindle.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Checking in!
Will DL it and start once I get a little farther with Go Set A Watchman. So may be a bit delayed - I'm used to reading multiple books, but not when they're all on an e-reader, i.e. need to see how that goes... :?
Joe Kelley
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

I do not yet have the book. The title sounds interesting. I can check in, but I do not know when I will be getting the book. Actually I wrote a book, self published, and I have copies unsold in part due to my lack of marketing skills: demonstrated here and now.

My checking-in is a response from an e-mail. I do not know if my participation in any discussion is actually welcome due to the nature of me, my history, and my competitive viewpoints. I looked at the price and availability of the book, and I did a quick search concerning the author.

I found this:

"The United States has a gun homicide rate that is at least a dozen times higher than those of most other industrialized countries. It is 50 times higher than Germany’s, for instance. We don’t have 50 times as many mentally disturbed people as Germany does — but we do have many, many more guns."

If the author is just another of many people either deceived on the subject matter of lawful self defense, or another of many people willfully adding to the already existing pile of deception, then my participation is probably not welcome in that crowd; no more than an abolitionist was welcome during the fraudulent take-over of America when slavery was on the way out and the slave traders decided to make slavery "legal."

I think I can save everyone the trouble of running me out of town on this one.
Last edited by Joe Kelley on Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KayR
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!
United States of America

Unread post

I'm ordering the book and will start posting as soon as I get a chance to start reading it.
Kay

Return to “The Post-American World: Release 2.0 - by Fareed Zakaria”