• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

My little slice of heaven.

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
missyannlala
Book Nut

My little slice of heaven.

Unread post

I'm currently reading "Atonement" by Ian McEwan.

About, 3/4 of the way, and liking it more and more. :)
give me the rainbow!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: My little slice of heaven.

Unread post

You've made the first post in this new forum so congrats on getting things started. :)

I just showed my wife your avatar because I really love those flowers. Does this mean I'm getting old or becoming gay? I mean...is a 41 year old man supposed to get all excited about some flowers? LOL But they're really nice. What can I say?
missyannlala
Book Nut

Unread post

Perhaps you're just getting in tune with your feminine side, which I see absolutely nothing wrong with. :)

Or maybe you're just becoming more fascinated with nature and such. Which is nice too.

Did your wife love them too?
give me the rainbow!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

She loved them. Her favorite flowers are hydrangeas but just about all flowers make her happy.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

There is nothing wrong with a man loving flowers, now, if you asked your wife to send you roses at work on your birthday, I would have to question you. :P

"My little slice of heaven" . . . My backyard is my little slice of heaven. I live in a fairly populated area, it is also an area that gets very congested during the rush hours. It is so peaceful and comforting to be able to come home and enjoy a private back yard. I have what I call living fences, huge evergreens which surround my property. This winter with all the snow has broken many of these evergreens which has been devastating to me. But, with tender loving care, I am confident that they will thrive again. I use many containers and hanging baskets in my back yard to add color with flowers. The only plants that I put into the ground are tomatos and herbs in an area I call my kitchen garden, which is right outside my kitchen door. While making dinner, if I need a handful of chives, I get my snippers and cut some from my kitchen garden. That is heavenly! And of course, nothing beats a ripe, fresh, sun warmed Jersey tomato!
missyannlala
Book Nut

Unread post

That little tid bit about your 'kitchen garden'...well all I can say is it was the most clever thing I've ever heard! It really made me smile(and giggle out loud)...(good thing I'm off in an unoccupied room!)
give me the rainbow!
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Thank you, but I cannot take credit for the name kitchen garden, I believe during the 1800s people would have a small garden next to the kitchen, and it was called a kitchen garden, I think I read this in a book. I know during WW2, gardens were called victory gardens, but that is not as comforting. I have been thinking about this topic, and what I said about it. It occured to me that a slice of heaven, is not only a physical place, but, for me at least, an emotional state. Being at home, and in my back yard gives me a sense of peace, and relaxation.

So, what is your little slice of heaven?
missyannlala
Book Nut

Unread post

I'm not really sure what my slice of heaven is. No one's ever asked before. I really enjoy reading in front of my 'house'...It's out on an old country road, orchards surround it. The front yard is peaceful and there are plenty of flowers and birds to keep me company. :D However, I've noticed a hive of wasps have decided they'd like to share it with me...I'm not too friendly with them though.
give me the rainbow!

Return to “What are you currently reading?”