Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:53 am

<< Week of August 29, 2016 >>
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
29 Day Month

30 Day Month

31 Day Month

1 Day Month

2 Day Month

3 Day Month

4 Day Month

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
My general notes on this book . . . 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genius

Another thing I think about - how did we, as humans, start cooking our meat?

The animals just catch their prey and eat it - I wonder how we actually discovered it's better eaten after you cook it.

Maybe there was a fire in some storehouse, where meat was kept and the people realized it tasted a lot better?

--------------------

I wasn't here much today - had to catch up on Michael Redhill's historical fiction, Consolation.

We had the group discussion at the library tonight.

For those of you who don't know, Michael Redhill is a Toronto writer (even though he's presently residing in France).

And it was my youngest daughter's birthday - we cooked up some pork chops,, and dug into some cake - my diet blown for the week. Guess it's back to fruit, veggies, etc., for tomorrow.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:16 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genius

Post Sect III Part 3
Page 9

So now he's refusing to give over the documents Kurtz gave him.

Page 11

She seemed ready to listen without mental reservation, without suspicion, without a thought for herself. I concluded I would go and give her back her portrait and those letters myself.

Ahhhh! Are we going to have some romance here?

Page 13

The dusk was falling. I had to wait in a lofty drawing-room with three long windows from floor to ceiling that were like three luminous and bedraped columns.

I liked that description and the idea of having windows like that.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:19 pm
Genius

Well, I'm finished and I'm happy I persevered with the book.

Had it not been for finding that spot online where you can 'listen' and 'read' through the book, I wouldn't have bothered with it.

Here's the url where you can do that, if you feel like reading through it again this way.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:56 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sophomore

Bronze Contributor 2

Post to wild city woman....
Quote:
just the way these men think they're the greatest thing since pop-up toasters

Do you mean we are NOT! :shock:

:lol:

I think U2 said it best: A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle...

Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:12 pm
Profile YIM
Oddly Attracted to Books

Gold Contributor

Post Listen to a book
Carly wrote:

Quote:
Well, I'm finished and I'm happy I persevered with the book.

Had it not been for finding that spot online where you can 'listen' and 'read' through the book, I wouldn't have bothered with it.

Here's the url where you can do that, if you feel like reading through it again this way.

This is a very good idea Carly, it would have helped me too if I'd known.

I checked the link you gave us earlier about project gutenberg, I love the way they organized with the voice reading and the page appearing on the screen.

If you find a similar link to "No Country for Old Men" please tell us. :)
It won't be at Gutenberg, it seems unlikely it would be anywhere for free for such a recent novel but who knows?

Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:16 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3