Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:05 am

<< Week of February 11, 2016 >>
Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday
11 Day Month

12 Day Month

13 Day Month

14 Day Month

15 Day Month

16 Day Month

17 Day Month

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
My biggest problem with Democrats is... 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

Post My biggest problem with Democrats is...
My biggest problem with Democrats is...

Results (total votes = 10):
they don't seem to have any real values 2 / 20.0%  
they are the default party of the poor & uneducated 3 / 30.0%  
they care more about Spotted Owls than people 0 / 0.0% 
they want to redistribute wealth 4 / 40.0%  
they smell 1 / 10.0%  

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."

Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:06 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Kindle Fanatic

Bronze Contributor 2

Post Re: My biggest problem with Democrats is...
Democratic philosophy can reach unbelievable heights of nannyism. I understand Dean's blanket support of labor unions; what else could he do? But I have a big problem with unions. Unions tend to be anti-merit, and so too, I'm afraid, does the Democratic Party. Let's take care of everyone whether they deserve it or not.

If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything. Daniel Dennett, 1984

Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:48 pm
Profile Email

Isn't it nannyism to ban gay marriage and marijuana?

Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:59 pm

I'm not sure I understand "poor and undereducated". Are poor Democrats less educated than poor Republicans?

Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:01 pm

Michael says:

Quote:
Isn't it nannyism to ban gay marriage and marijuana?

Not really. "Nannyism" is the belief that ordinary folks need the government to take care of them, because they're either too stupid or too weak (or both) to take care of themselves. Nanny-state policy involves large welfare systems, extensive gun control ("don't get a gun, get a cop"), and blind trust in an elite leadership.

I can see how one might see a gay marriage ban and anti-drug laws as "moral nannyism", but those issues aren't really included in the general individualist vs. collectivist debate.

S

Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:43 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand "poor and undereducated". Are poor Democrats less educated than poor Republicans?

They are two seperate groups, although I do think there is a correlation being poor and being uneducated.

If you are poor you are by default most benefited by Democratic policies. If you are rich you are most benefited by Republican policies.

If you are uneducated you are typically going to earn less money than your educated counterpart, and therefore, the Democratic party will afford you more in the ways of shared wealth. Yes, the Democrats are all about spreading wealth out as opposed to rewarding those that earn it. :eek

Chris

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."

Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:02 pm
Profile Email WWW

<
--Perhaps, but poor people do vote for Republicans, believing they are the party of values, sexual morals, and so on. Even if it's against their economic interest.

Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:48 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Stupendously Brilliant

Post Demoprats
My biggest problem would be their support of abortion. My second biggest problem with the democrats would be that they are nothing more than the 'not the republicans' party.

Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:20 am

Post Re: Demoprats
My biggest problem with the Democrats is that they're almost exactly the same overprivileged capitalist hypocrites as the Republicans.:rolleyes

Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:45 pm

Quote:
--Perhaps, but poor people do vote for Republicans, believing they are the party of values, sexual morals, and so on.

People without H.S. diplomas voted for Kerry in greater #'s than they did for Bush, FWIW.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:54 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Swamy

What does "FWIW" mean?

Chris

Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:13 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:37 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
So many e-books my reader is overweight!

Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:51 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.