• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

more mindbenders from the book

#130: April - June 2014 (Non-Fiction)
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

more mindbenders from the book

Unread post

In other words, Buridan introduced the concepts that would lead to Newton’s first law of motion, that a body at rest would stay at rest and a body in motion would stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by another force. The pantheistic worldview never would have led to such an idea because it was fundamentally and institutionally opposed to it.
that's funny, i'm a pantheist (on thursdays) and i am cool with Newton's first law of motion, as far as it goes.

pantheists play marbles too you know.

now which pantheist institution opposes inertia and momentum etc etc?
Buridan was of course not the first Christian to oppose Aristotle on the eternity of the world. The Fourth Lateran Council in 1215 codified the dogma that there is “only one true God, eternal and immeasurable, almighty, unchangeable, incomprehensible and ineffable, Father, Son and holy Spirit, three persons but one absolutely simple essence, substance or nature . . . one principle of all things, creator of all things invisible and visible.” [371] The Condemnations of 1277 in the generation that preceded Buridan identified Aristotle’s errors that were contrary to the Christian dogma of creation out of nothing and with a beginning in time, and to the common experience of objects in motion. Buridan was not a theologian, but a man with a brilliant scientific mind.
i love this book :)

everytime i start reading it i just start to smile as i think about it all, and drink in writers POV.
His assent in faith to the tenets of the Christian Creed guided him to assert the most critical breakthrough in the history of science, the idea of inertial motion and impetus.
ummm, is it not thinkable that non-christians played marbles back in the day too?

Return to “Science Was Born of Christianity: The Teaching of Fr. Stanley L. Jaki - by Stacy Trasancos”