Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 04, 2016 4:49 am

<< Week of May 04, 2016 >>
Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday
4 Day Month

5 Day Month

6 Day Month

7 Day Month

8 Day Month

9 Day Month

10 Day Month

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Lost Memory of Skin, Prt. 5, chapters 6-9 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Post Lost Memory of Skin, Prt. 5, chapters 6-9
LOST MEMORY OF SKIN

Russell Banks

Part Five, Chapters; six -nine

Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:37 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intern

Post Re: Lost Memory of Skin, Prt. 5, chapters 6-9
Just finished the book. What a story! I have no more sympathy for sex offenders now then I did before reading the book. But the one thing that jumps out for me is "don't believe everything you think." I'll give it that much.

5 out of 5 stars.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:43 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intelligent

Damifino wrote:
Just finished the book. What a story! I have no more sympathy for sex offenders now then I did before reading the book. But the one thing that jumps out for me is "don't believe everything you think." I'll give it that much.

5 out of 5 stars.

So, it appears that Banks accomplished what I believe is his goal as far as you're concerned. I've enjoyed reading with you and hope you do join the Classics discussion.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:24 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Doctorate

Thanks for the recommendation Damfino. I could not buy the book here until March, and anyway was not available on Kindle

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:51 pm
Profile Email
Intern

lindad_amato wrote:
So, it appears that Banks accomplished what I believe is his goal as far as you're concerned. I've enjoyed reading with you and hope you do join the Classics discussion.

Thank you for having me. I do feel somewhat out of my league here. But I so love to discuss books while I am reading.

Yes I will be joining in the Moby Dick discussion. I am not the biggest fan of the classics but there are some that I would love to try. That way when the show Jeopardy comes on I might have a chance. 8)

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:34 am
Intern

heledd wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation Damfino. I could not buy the book here until March, and anyway was not available on Kindle

Well I hope you chime in while reading it. Would love to hear what you think. For me this book was very well written and for sure I will read more Russel Banks. But you know something....as much as I liked it there are only a few of my reading friends that I think would even consider picking it up. Because of the content.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:42 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Master Debater

I am glad I read the book as well, but I feel like there are still a lot of unanswered questions. I want to know who everyone really is. I don't believe that the Writer is who he says he is, any more than the Professor, Shyster, Kid, etc. I think that is definitely the point of the book. Nothing is what it seems. I have always thought this about individuals on the registry because of the variety of things that can get you put on the list. However, that being said, I am also not sure I want anyone on the list watching my nephew either. It's an interesting thing to ponder and a good point that the book brought up.

I also felt like the book was a little wordy. I felt like the same points and ideas could have been put across in a shorter book. There were many places where the plot dragged on in order to just increase the amount of knowledge we had on each character, but not necessarily anything to the plot line. This frustrated me, but I am glad I made it to the end. I was quite excited by this last section.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:42 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.