Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME FORUMS BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:49 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
lolita dresses 

Post lolita dresses
Having read the book lolita, I have indulged myself in the lolita fashion.
Guys, do you like lolita dresses?

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:25 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Kindle Fanatic

Post Re: lolita dresses
They're much too expensive for my tastes, and I cannot sew.

Shelfari!

Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:03 pm
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Holy Smokes I'm Great

Silver Contributor

Whatever happened to dresses? Girls don't wear them anymore.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:45 pm
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Upper Echelon 1st Class

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

crystal0813 wrote:

What on earth is a "Lolita" dress? I don't see the connection between fashion and the book "Lolita", can you please explain this to me?

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:16 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Suzanne wrote:
crystal0813 wrote:

What on earth is a "Lolita" dress? I don't see the connection between fashion and the book "Lolita", can you please explain this to me?

google it. I think they are dresses you can buy online. I coudn't find one in my size.

“You cannot evade the issue of God, whether you talk about pigs or the binomial theory, you are still talking about Him. Now if Christianity be. . . a fragment of metaphysical nonsense invented by a few people, then, of course, defending it will simply mean talking that metaphysical nonsense over and over. But if Christianity should happen to be true – then defending it may mean talking about anything or everything. Things can be irrelevant to the proposition that Christianity is false, but nothing can be irrelevant to the proposition that Christianity is true.”
- G.K. Chesterton

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:20 am
Profile Email
Upper Echelon 1st Class

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

stahrwe wrote:
google it. I think they are dresses you can buy online.

I did google it. This was the response I was hoping to get from crystal0813, I'm smelling spam.

stahrwe wrote:
I think they are dresses you can buy online. I coudn't find one in my size.

I'm sorry, but maybe you could get a purse. Shoes are also nice! :)

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:55 am
Kindle Fanatic

I'm surprised you've never heard of the Lolita subculture. I suppose it's not nearly as popular in America as it is in Japan, but it's been a solid trend for quite a few years now. Click here for some Photobucket pics that have been tagged with "lolita fashion."

Also, here is the Wikipedia entry. It's kind of difficult to explain, but it takes a lot of influence from 19th century English fashion, and also combines it with Japanese style clothing. It involves a lot of frills and a lot of lace.

Shelfari!

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:44 am
Profile Email YIM
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Suzanne wrote:
stahrwe wrote:
google it. I think they are dresses you can buy online.

I did google it. This was the response I was hoping to get from crystal0813, I'm smelling spam.

stahrwe wrote:
I think they are dresses you can buy online. I coudn't find one in my size.

I'm sorry, but maybe you could get a purse. Shoes are also nice! :)

thanks for the suggestion.

I think a Lolita post showed up at BT a few months back.

“You cannot evade the issue of God, whether you talk about pigs or the binomial theory, you are still talking about Him. Now if Christianity be. . . a fragment of metaphysical nonsense invented by a few people, then, of course, defending it will simply mean talking that metaphysical nonsense over and over. But if Christianity should happen to be true – then defending it may mean talking about anything or everything. Things can be irrelevant to the proposition that Christianity is false, but nothing can be irrelevant to the proposition that Christianity is true.”
- G.K. Chesterton

Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:13 am
Profile Email
Upper Echelon 1st Class

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

wilde wrote:
I'm surprised you've never heard of the Lolita subculture.

Oh, I have heard of it, I just don't don't like merchandise peddled here, regardless of what culture or subculture it belongs to.

Why do you think this type of clothing is so popular in Japan? Do you think this type of fashion branches off from the Geisha? Geishas wear clothing that is feminine and demure, but this clothing is considered provocative, and attractive to men in Japan. Women wearing this type of "Lolita" apparel, from the Wiki link you provided, state that attracting men is not the reason for wearing this type of clothing. What do you think the underlying reason is? There have been many "subcultures" in dressing over the years. Gothic, punk, bohemian, and those wearing Nehru jackets, etc., but each subculture is making a statement. What statement do you think is being made by wearing Lolita clothing?

And who the hell wears pencil skirts with flats? Ewww! Yes, running for buses in NYC I can see, but as a general rule, Ewwwww!

stahrwe wrote:
I think a Lolita post showed up at BT a few months back.

Yes, and it was revived a few days ago.

President Camacho wrote:
Whatever happened to dresses? Girls don't wear them anymore.

Wait a second, isn't it hot in GA? Aren't you seeing a lot of sun dresses? Or, are you missing those full length dresses, covering the ankles, arms and the décolleté from 18th century literature? :lol:

Actually, maybe you are missing those full length dresses from the 18th and 19th centuries. Skinny waists and accentuated bosoms were trendy during those periods.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:14 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Bronze Contributor 2

I could totally pull off the Lolita look since I am cursed with big fat cutie cheeks that stops anyone from taking me seriously ever. However, as mentioned, it's so expensive! Fitting in to any subculture is always hard on the pocketbook. Also, chee, time consuming. I don't even blow dry my hair cuz it takes too long. Beyond all that, my time to dress as a creepy child succubus is over. I think at my advanced age of thirty it would be grotesque!

Japan is notorious for finding the school girls and young girls in general very sexually appealing. Not hard to see how this look would be more popular there. And I imagine it suits Asian girls fairly well - they have the cutie face too! Also (this is just my opinion) it seems that Japan is more open to people dressing for daily life in "costumes" rather than simple clothing. I've seen various fads from Japan that seem very costumey and something that would certainly get a triple-take here, even in the very cosmopolitan and blasé city I live in. I don't think every style is a statement per se. Maybe they make one up, but I think sometimes people just want to look a certain way.

Girls still wear dresses - mostly in the summer. That style of dress is a lot more casual, though. Personally, I own two dresses, and only ever wear them at weddings. Pants/shorts/capris/whatever are just a lot more convenient. I had a business meeting on Wednesday and wore a skirt, and all day I was fussing about making sure I sat properly. Ridiculous! In pants you just sit how you sit, no worries about getting into cars, etc.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:37 am
Profile Email ICQ YIM
Holy Smokes I'm Great

Silver Contributor

That's exactly it. It looks as though men are being cheated. Girls wear more revealing clothing but they've lost a good deal of costume. The dresses get shorter, tighter, and simpler. That's all well and good. In fact, that's awesome. But every once in a long while I'd like to see a girl fully decked out.

I want to see refinery and a pretty face in a large, multi-layered dress that looks like it took her all of two hours to put on. That's something to see. Despite the encumbrance she's graceful and pleasant. She's charming and slightly coquettish. She hides the bones in her closet so well you'd think she was an angel. She has pleasant conversation and enjoys speaking but no one would consider her overbearing. Everyone's simply captivated by her conversation and they yield the floor to her. She has many passages of great works memorized and her manner recalls of more noble days long past.

Then the next day she's a hot, highly promiscuous blond in shorts and a tight blouse that's more bra than blouse.

Just something to change things up a bit.... lol

When I was in Japan I witnessed people dressed in a wide array of styles. It isn't like the United States where there is basically a small batch of styles to choose from. In Japan, there are some really bizarre styles. You can see every style the United States has come up with since the 50's there. These people dress themselves in a time period or model themselves on a single person. They're very dedicated to it, too. They hang out with like minded individuals and sometimes they're even a tourist attraction - like the Harajuku girls.

I think this is more a phase of life than anything else just like here in the states. But over there they really go all out and there is more of a selection and greater availability of costume clothing.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:42 am
Profile Email YIM
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Bronze Contributor 2

I can't remember ever seeing a guy who looked like he spent two hours on his appearance. Usually "a lot of effort" from a guy is putting on a suit (less than five minutes), a tie (which he will complain about all night cuz it's "strangling" him), and combing his hair. Maybe 15 minutes? Chee, what a hardship. Meanwhile the ladies are in dresses and get ups that take ages to put together, wearing shoes that are literally crippling them, outfits that crush their whole bodies so they can't breathe (gotta rock the corsets, nylons, etc), and then make-up, hair, etc, which can take over an hour by itself.

I'm sure a lot of guys would prefer a return to the demure and fully decorated women of the past. Sadly women having rights and the acknowledgement of status as a citizen has (for the most part) put their days as a decorative object somewhat behind them. Beyond which, on a daily basis most women put in a lot more time on their appearance than men. Asking women to put in effort that men won't do seems pretty hypocritical!

"Just a Girl" by No Doubt just came on my player. How appropriate!

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:15 pm
Profile Email ICQ YIM
Upper Echelon 1st Class

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Oh Pres., you are so charismatically macho!

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:18 pm
Holy Smokes I'm Great

Silver Contributor

You're right Theo... but I think if girls demanded that their men dress a certain way it would be within 24 hours that you'd see most every guy dressed in whatever fashion women wanted.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:40 pm
Profile Email YIM
Kindle Fanatic

Not to mention that women who were those dresses came from noble families who could afford a new dress every day... (Wear the same dress twice? Scandalous!) Those dresses did require a couple servants or ladies-in-waiting to help get you into them. :lol:

I generally like the style of dresses made after the 19th century..

Shelfari!

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:51 pm
Profile Email YIM
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next