• In total there are 11 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Liber Amoris

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Liber Amoris

Unread post

Has anyone ever read this small book? It's a collection of William Hazlitt's letters and experiences regarding his pursuit of a young lady. The girl's name is Sarah Walker and she's a tradesman's daughter. The book was written in the 1820's and sheds some light on the Romantic Era's idea of love by one of the world's most talented (albeit little known) critics.

When Hazlitt meets Sarah, he's already married but almost instantly falls for her. He falls very hard and very fast and the rest of his life is dominated by this person. He is constantly tormented by the idea of her, of the life he could have with her, at his chance at love, and the perceived loss of it.

The attraction began when Hazlitt stayed at her residence. Sarah was forward and allowed Hazlitt the pleasure of sitting in his lap and showering him with kisses as she did with another guest at around the same time period - he later found this out and his mind tears trying to compartmentalize her as angel or demon. Sarah at no time lets Hazlitt know that she was in love with him or would be in the future, in fact just the opposite is true. She had no real feelings for William and let him know it. She seems to have wanted a nice way to pass the time - some practice and an amorous adventure. She didn't want a relationship. When Hazlitt pressed her about it - she recoiled and became shy around him which immediately frustrates him.

A man who has never been lucky with women and is slightly misogynistic sees he's probably letting slip the one chance he has at what he considers to be true love. The girl has no feelings regarding him and is almost pure abstraction to William. The only redeeming quality related to the reader about her besides her grace, beauty, and roguery is the act of returning a small statue William had given her for safe keeping. When Hazlitt describes her he admits she says very little and her beauty is mostly to be seen and felt. This makes it seem like he knew little about her at all. William hardly ever says anything about her personality that's positive. She's a sexual toy and not yet ready (if ever) to be a wife.

This reminds me of people who get a fascination for movie stars, strippers, and bartendresses.

Sarah is a failed conquest for a man unlucky at love. Hazlitt can't stand it. He recruits friends to intervene and he writes them constantly about her and his mental/emotional sufferings. He goes to Scotland to get a divorce. He must have Sarah Walker. He begins writing Liber Amoris - he can't stop thinking about her. It's a monomania which will continue to his death.

Hazlitt says it's true love but he degrades her and acknowledges her indiscretions constantly. Hell, he puts them in a book for all the world to see and even uses her name. How is that true love? He tells her father about their intimate times... and questions her father about her impropriety - he puts the question to the whole world!!! This is a kiss and tell book. Does Hazlitt need such a large relief valve? Are his sufferings so extraordinary that he needs to vent to everyone who can read a book? How considerate is that... has he been so wronged?

She told him. She was honest. She just let him have a taste of what he could never have. He got him hooked and denied him his fixes thereafter. A lot of that has to do with Hazlitt's exaggerated sentimentality - he should have just boinked her and been done with her.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Liber Amoris

Unread post

No, I've never heard of the book, but I know Hazlitt just a little bit. English Lit students may still read his criticism. He was as famous in his day for criticism as Coleridge was. You've made me interested in picking this one up--bet it's a little hard to find, though.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: Liber Amoris

Unread post

The only thing to enjoy in this book is Hazlitt's colorful language. There are some beautiful lines... but it's no life changing experience to read this thing. It's pretty sad. From what I've read, Sarah Walker was very very young.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”