• In total there are 27 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Kindles and iPads and Nooks, oh my!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Kindles and iPads and Nooks, oh my!

Unread post

Christmas before last, my kdis gave me a Kindle (Keyboard). I have read about 15 - 20 books on it so far, some of which have been purchased, some gifts, some free, even some checked out from an on-line library. From my experience I have discovered some definite likes and dislikes about my Kindle:

:) Likes: (1) Portbility; much lighter than the average book. (2) Ability to 'carry' a sizeable library in such a small package; my particular version of the Kindle claims it can hold 3500 average sized books. (3) The ability to increase the size of the type; my eyesight has degenerated due to age and health conditions, and small type (e.g. the average paperback) is almost impossible for me to read. (4) My Kindle has two built-in dictionaries. It is easy to check on the definition of an obscure word.

:angry: Dislikes: (1) I miss the heft, smell, and feel of a 'real' book. I know this is purely subjective, but there it is. (2) I worry that as e-readers begin to suplant rather than supplement bound books, the price may increase too much. This may be groundless, but it is there. (3) As I read, I like to flip back and forth (What was her name again?). This is tricky on a Kindle if you are going more than a few pages.

How about you? What do you like and dislike about your e-reader (assuming you have one). It can be Kindle, Nook, iPad, Laptop, Desktop, even a smart phone.

For those of you considering buying or using an e-reader, I hope this will prove helpful to you.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
heledd
Doctorate

Re: Kindles and iPads and Nooks, oh my!

Unread post

Yes the only annoying thing about the Kindle is that you can't easily flip back and fore, otherwise I'm very happy with it
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

I use an iPad as e-reader, it's heavier but I like it. I like using the "night view" (black background with white text) to read in the dark. Being able to do other things besides reading has its pros and cons, obviously.

I don't take notes that often, but it's a nice ability to have, and to be able to highlight things and actually find them again.

For me, since I often read several things at once, and sometimes don't finish them, it works well for me. I still feel that odd obligation to finish books that I start, but I'm trying to get over that. (I read mostly nonfiction.)

I agree, you can't flip through a book like you can with print.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

To Dexter: Had I been purchasing one, I probably would have gone with an iPad as it is much more versatile... but then, I didn't look a gift Kindle in the mouth. :wink:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

Yeah, I thought the LCD screen would make it hard to read, and I thought it'd be nice to have the e-ink of the Kindle, but I haven't had any issues with it. Maybe a little glare occasionally, and I don't try to use it in direct sunlight.
crisnee
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I've had Kindles (E-ink versions) for several years. I think they're easier on the eyes than many/most books and they're very convenient for me as I read several books at a time. Since I prefer literature to most anything else it's also very cheap to get most of what I read.

I like the instant dictionary. I find myself looking up words all the time as opposed to rarely, when I have to go to a "real" dictionary.

I like putting documents and pdfs on them. Html documents will allow for links and TOCs, which is nice.

What I don't like:
No browsing. I like to survey books at times.
No flipping back and forth, and the lack of real page numbers on many, though not all books.

-Chris
usdfg
Master Debater

Unread post

There's are all good points. Another great advantage of all the ebook devices available today is that a lot of authors are able to self publish their novels :)
vgrefer
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I don't own any ereader yet but I would LOVE a kindle. So so much!!!
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

An interesting sidenote: A nearby school district has announced that it will not issue textbooks this year\; rather, each high school student will be issued an iPad. The admin feels that the cost will be less, the material can be updated more easily, and that there will be other benefits. I will try to keep track of this, as it may be the wave of the future. Anyone else hear of local schools going this route?

JamesRConway
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I was not aware until recently that there are free eBook readers available to download on to your computer to allow you to read eBooks when you don't actually own a Kindle.

The free Kindle Reader is available at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html ... 1000425503

You can test it out with my FREE eBook which is my first novel called "Terror Illusions" and available free at http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/212758

Return to “Everything Else”