• In total there are 29 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 28 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Jonathan Haidt podcast

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Jonathan Haidt podcast

Unread post

We discussed his book a while back, so maybe some will be interested.

http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2014/0 ... haidt.html#
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Jonathan Haidt podcast

Unread post

Thanks for posting this, Dexter. Like Roberts, I thought The Righteous Mind was a really good book. It was interesting to see someone engage Haidt on these ideas. Roberts seems to be a good thinker as well.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

3 puppets in a puppet show
several babies watching
1 puppet tries to climb a hill. 1 puppet hinders. the other helps.

after the show the puppets are shown to the several babbies in attendance.
Some of the babbies reach for the puppet that was helpful. Its not known what percent of the baby group selected the helpful puppet ,nor is the sample size known.

Conclusion:
Human beings are "wired" to favor helpful puppets and people.

Now thats what I call science.

Great stuff.
Last edited by ant on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Recognize Jonathan Haight is describing those studies off the cuff and hadn't memorized all details, therefore sarcasm isn't warranted. I just started a Coursera course on Morality taught by Paul Bloom of Yale, the professor who did the studies on babies. He describes those studies in his book Just Babies - The Origins of Good and Evil. Here's a quote on one of the studies.
As we predicted, six and ten-month-old infants overwhelmingly preferred the helpful individual to the hindering individual. This wasn't a statistical trend; just about all of the babies reached for the good guy. P. 28
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:Recognize Jonathan Haight is describing those studies off the cuff and hadn't memorized all details, therefore sarcasm isn't warranted. I just started a Coursera course on Morality taught by Paul Bloom of Yale, the professor who did the studies on babies. He describes those studies in his book Just Babies - The Origins of Good and Evil. Here's a quote on one of the studies.
As we predicted, six and ten-month-old infants overwhelmingly preferred the helpful individual to the hindering individual. This wasn't a statistical trend; just about all of the babies reached for the good guy. P. 28
Or, God forbid, actually read Haidt's book! Well, it's much easier to pick out a few words from an interview and render it into a strawman. Anting.
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

geo wrote:
LanDroid wrote:Recognize Jonathan Haight is describing those studies off the cuff and hadn't memorized all details, therefore sarcasm isn't warranted. I just started a Coursera course on Morality taught by Paul Bloom of Yale, the professor who did the studies on babies. He describes those studies in his book Just Babies - The Origins of Good and Evil. Here's a quote on one of the studies.
Or, God forbid, actually read Haidt's book! Well, it's much easier to pick out a few words from an interview and render it into a strawman. Anting.

Therefore, God most certainly does not exist.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:
geo wrote:Or, God forbid, actually read Haidt's book! Well, it's much easier to pick out a few words from an interview and render it into a strawman. Anting.
?
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

geo wrote:
ant wrote:
geo wrote:Or, God forbid, actually read Haidt's book! Well, it's much easier to pick out a few words from an interview and render it into a strawman. Anting.
?

I think it's an interesting hypothesis and NOT a theory.
There's a difference. I'm sure you know that.

I'm also fairly certain you know nothing of the details regarding sample size, control groups, percentages of positive/negative results, and alternative considerations that bare on these particular studies. Referring to "page 28" is not what I consider a thorough abstract.
And with all due respect to Landroids "Coursera" studies, I simply to not accept his online studies as an authority on the subject.

But please, continue. This is fascinating stuff.
Last edited by ant on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

I personally haven't read Haidt's book, although I've heard his TEDTalk. Sure, some of this is speculative. Who said it wasn't? Who are you arguing with? I think you're tilting at windmills as usual.
Last edited by geo on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

geo wrote:I personally haven't read Haidt's book, although I've heard his TEDTalk. Sure, some of this is speculative. Who said it wasn't? As usual, you're tilting at windmills.

You haven't read the book????!!!!

And you're calling me out for not having read it????!!!

WTF?

Return to “Everything Else”