Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:27 am

<< Week of July 27, 2016 >>
Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday
27 Day Month

28 Day Month

29 Day Month

30 Day Month

31 Day Month

1 Day Month

2 Day Month





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
1. In The Beginning 
Author Message
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1680
Thanks: 178
Thanked: 147 times in 132 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post 1. In The Beginning
In The Beginning

Image Image



Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:44 pm
Profile
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1680
Thanks: 178
Thanked: 147 times in 132 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: 1. In The Beginning
Who wants to get the ball rolling?

You may have noticed that the first chapter, "In The Beginning," is only a few pages long, so I hope at least a few people have read at least that much by now. Does anyone have any thoughts or questions about the conversation between the demon and the angel at the gates of Eden during the Fall of Man, or on anything else put forth in this prologue?

I'm excited to hear everyone's thoughts, but the question is, who wants to go first? ;)



Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:40 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 2521
Location: New Jersey
Thanks: 557
Thanked: 448 times in 357 posts
Gender: Female

Post Re: 1. In The Beginning
Well, I have officially gone and done it. I took the place mark out of Don Quixote, yes, so sad for me, I will never know the wonders of DQ and my intellectual growth will be permanently stunted, but, it gives me a place mark for "Good Omens"! :clap:

And I am very excited that you are the discussion leader bleach!



Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:27 pm
Profile
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1680
Thanks: 178
Thanked: 147 times in 132 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: 1. In The Beginning
:blush: Awww. I'm not that great. Just excited to discuss this book. I can't wait to hear what you think of this prologue when you finish it! :)



The following user would like to thank bleachededen for this post:
lindad_amato
Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:59 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 2521
Location: New Jersey
Thanks: 557
Thanked: 448 times in 357 posts
Gender: Female

Post Re: 1. In The Beginning
Waiting for my copy to arrive! :D



Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:01 pm
Profile
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1680
Thanks: 178
Thanked: 147 times in 132 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: 1. In The Beginning
I'll be here when everyone's ready. :)



Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:24 am
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Cunning Linguist


Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 80
Location: In front of my computer
Thanks: 6
Thanked: 14 times in 11 posts
Gender: Female
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: 1. In The Beginning
Okay. I'm here! Just finished reading the Prologue. First off, I just have a silly comment to make on the fact that I found it highly amusing that the serpent's name was Crawly. There's just something about that name that makes me laugh, and I guess it's even funnier being paired with a serpent sent to do Hell's bidding. That's my random thought of the day.

Secondly, I noticed this little tidbit in my second reading of the chapter. (Note: I tend to read far too into details. :D ) In the first paragraph, it's mentioned that rain has not been invented yet, and yet, the angel is shielding himself from the first drops. I suppose it just goes with the territory that, as an angel, Aziraphale was aware of what is going to come from the clouds. If not, how was he to know that anything would fall from the clouds?

I find this short little insight into the Fall of Man quite interesting, with representatives of Good and Evil chatting together at the gate like a pair of drinking buddies.


_________________
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic. ~ Frank Herbert, Dune


The following user would like to thank Seraphim for this post:
bleachededen
Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:53 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1680
Thanks: 178
Thanked: 147 times in 132 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: 1. In The Beginning
Seraphim wrote:
Okay. I'm here! Just finished reading the Prologue. First off, I just have a silly comment to make on the fact that I found it highly amusing that the serpent's name was Crawly. There's just something about that name that makes me laugh, and I guess it's even funnier being paired with a serpent sent to do Hell's bidding. That's my random thought of the day.


This is indeed funny, but moreso if you remember from the Bible that the serpent once walked on feet, or at least hands and feet, and was cursed to slither on the ground for his act in tempting Adam and Eve to eat the fruit. This enhances why the name "Crawly" doesn't sit well with Crawly, because he was not supposed to be reduced to crawling. Something I never thought I'd say when reading fiction, but some Biblical knowledge is actually very helpful when reading this novel, and adds to better understanding of events and humor in the book. But we won't get too nitpicky, and everyone will bring in different details from their views, and I welcome this. :) So yes, the tempter being called "Crawly" is very funny, and you're right to laugh at it. Thanks for sharing!

Seraphim wrote:
Secondly, I noticed this little tidbit in my second reading of the chapter. (Note: I tend to read far too into details. :D ) In the first paragraph, it's mentioned that rain has not been invented yet, and yet, the angel is shielding himself from the first drops. I suppose it just goes with the territory that, as an angel, Aziraphale was aware of what is going to come from the clouds. If not, how was he to know that anything would fall from the clouds?

I find this short little insight into the Fall of Man quite interesting, with representatives of Good and Evil chatting together at the gate like a pair of drinking buddies.


I'm glad you noticed the relationship between Crawly and Aziraphale as "drinking buddies," as that will be a driving force throughout the rest of the book. It sounds counterintuitive to everything we are taught in the Judeo-Christian dogma of heaven and hell, but Gaiman and Pratchett suggest here that even the agents of the Almighty and the Lord of the Underworld are not beyond questioning the "ineffable" plan and joining forces to reach their own ends and not their masters'. Good eye, and I'm glad you find it amusing, because it only gets better. ;)

As for the rain, the first paragraph says that rain had not been invented yet, "But clouds massing east of Eden (does anyone else see the Steinbeck reference here? ;)) suggested the first thunderstorm was on its way, and it was going to be a big one."

It seems to me here that the first thunderstorm is coming because the Fall of Man has already happened, and thus God will no longer allow it to be nice all the time. The end of the chapter mentions the early thunder rumbles of a storm, and we are told "It was going to be a dark and stormy night," another cliched literary reference we're all familiar with. Thanks for noticing the rain, as I think it is an important element in this prologue. :)

Also keep in mind Aziraphale's missing sword, and the fire the humans are cowering around at the end of this prologue. This suggests that it is Aziraphale who gives the humans fire (since Prometheus wouldn't be part of the mythos this book is based on), and remember the missing sword, because it will come into play later. ;) This also gives us the beginning of a notion that the angel is not as angelic as he ought to be, because he gives fire to the humans when he wasn't told to, and that Crawly, questioning whether or not what he did was bad or good, is not necessarily the agent of evil HE ought to be. We are being set up here to question not only the agents of the Almighty and his Nemesis, but also the nature and plan of the Almighty Himself. This, as I have said, is the driving force of the novel, and I think this prologue sets us up very well for the events which are to follow.

Anyone else have any comments or interesting tidbits they noticed? :)



Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:02 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Cunning Linguist


Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 80
Location: In front of my computer
Thanks: 6
Thanked: 14 times in 11 posts
Gender: Female
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: 1. In The Beginning
bleachededen wrote:
As for the rain, the first paragraph says that rain had not been invented yet, "But clouds massing east of Eden (does anyone else see the Steinbeck reference here? ;)) suggested the first thunderstorm was on its way, and it was going to be a big one."


I noticed that reference as well. :D

bleachededen wrote:
Also keep in mind Aziraphale's missing sword, and the fire the humans are cowering around at the end of this prologue. This suggests that it is Aziraphale who gives the humans fire (since Prometheus wouldn't be part of the mythos this book is based on), and remember the missing sword, because it will come into play later. ;) This also gives us the beginning of a notion that the angel is not as angelic as he ought to be, because he gives fire to the humans when he wasn't told to, and that Crawly, questioning whether or not what he did was bad or good, is not necessarily the agent of evil HE ought to be. We are being set up here to question not only the agents of the Almighty and his Nemesis, but also the nature and plan of the Almighty Himself. This, as I have said, is the driving force of the novel, and I think this prologue sets us up very well for the events which are to follow.


Ahh...how could I forget the sword? I really like that conversation between the two of them. In a sense, it makes Aziraphale seem human. He thought he was doing good, and yet, he was afraid that what he thought was a good deed may end up being bad. It's a constant struggle that we, as humans, deal with as well. Perhaps this is why it was believed best that humans did not know the difference between good and evil. Then we wouldn't be second-guessing our actions. :D

I really am intrigued by Crawly and the fact that, as you said, he may not be the agent of evil he ought to be. I'm always one to try to see the good in everyone, and Crawly provides that little hope that there is good in everyone, that nobody is wholly evil, not even a servant of Evil.


_________________
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic. ~ Frank Herbert, Dune


Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:25 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sophomore


Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 261
Location: Wheaton, Illinois, USA
Thanks: 26
Thanked: 34 times in 31 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: 1. In The Beginning
I just read Chapter 1. This is well done. I know I am missing some of the more subtle allusions but its okay; can always looks stuff up later. Crawly/Crowley is going to be fun to ger to know. I love his wise-crack, he has trouble comming up with bad stuff to do to humans, they are CREATIVE and can therefore think of and do much more bad stuff to each other than he can dream up.


_________________
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost


Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:39 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1680
Thanks: 178
Thanked: 147 times in 132 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: 1. In The Beginning
GaryG48 wrote:
I just read Chapter 1. This is well done. I know I am missing some of the more subtle allusions but its okay; can always looks stuff up later. Crawly/Crowley is going to be fun to ger to know. I love his wise-crack, he has trouble comming up with bad stuff to do to humans, they are CREATIVE and can therefore think of and do much more bad stuff to each other than he can dream up.


Exactly! And that's what I love about Gaiman and Pratchett here -- that they suggest that humans are their own worst enemies, and even the minions of the Evil One can't hurt them as badly as they could hurt themselves! It's hilarious and deadly serious and true at the exact same time, and that is one of the aspects of this book that I totally adore! :)

Seraphim wrote:
I really like that conversation between the two of them. In a sense, it makes Aziraphale seem human. He thought he was doing good, and yet, he was afraid that what he thought was a good deed may end up being bad. It's a constant struggle that we, as humans, deal with as well. Perhaps this is why it was believed best that humans did not know the difference between good and evil. Then we wouldn't be second-guessing our actions. :D


This is a very interesting insight, Seraphim. Every time the Garden of Eden story comes up in religious discussions, the question "Why would knowing good from evil be a bad thing?" always comes up, and this suggestion (the bolded sentences in the quote above) hits that nail right on the head. If all you know is God's plan, all you will follow is God's plan. But if you know that there is good (God) AND bad, then you start asking questions, and we all know that God hates it when people (and angels) question His plan. Very well done here. I'm so excited to keep going! :)

Seraphim wrote:
I really am intrigued by Crawly and the fact that, as you said, he may not be the agent of evil he ought to be. I'm always one to try to see the good in everyone, and Crawly provides that little hope that there is good in everyone, that nobody is wholly evil, not even a servant of Evil.


Yes. I'm glad you feel this way, too. You will continue to do so, and I like that you suggest there is good in everyone, even in a demon like Crawly/Crowley (Aziraphale will agree with you ;)).

I think we're getting off to a very good start! I can't wait to see what further insights will be revealed the more we read. Thanks for being so awesome, guys! Keep it coming! :up:



Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:53 pm
Profile
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intelligent


Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 556
Location: Connecticut
Thanks: 77
Thanked: 88 times in 79 posts
Gender: Female
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: 1. In The Beginning
This opening chapter really does set the stage for much more to come. I love the comraderie betweek C and A. I particularly enjoyed the sense that neither of them seems to know what they're doing. There is a lot of foreshadowing here so it bears re-reading.



Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:38 pm
Profile
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1680
Thanks: 178
Thanked: 147 times in 132 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: 1. In The Beginning
lindad_amato wrote:
This opening chapter really does set the stage for much more to come. I love the comraderie betweek C and A. I particularly enjoyed the sense that neither of them seems to know what they're doing. There is a lot of foreshadowing here so it bears re-reading.


Absolutely!! Glad you're having fun so far! :)



Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:07 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 2521
Location: New Jersey
Thanks: 557
Thanked: 448 times in 357 posts
Gender: Female

Post Re: 1. In The Beginning
20 more pages to go in "Wind Up Bird", and then I'm all yours bleach! :)

I quickly read a portion of "Good Omens" and it did capture my attention. I'll re- read these pages and jump in.

It looks like a very happy discussion with all the smiley faces.



Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:50 am
Profile
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1680
Thanks: 178
Thanked: 147 times in 132 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: 1. In The Beginning
:lol:

It's an awesome discussion so far, but I may be abusing the smilies a bit. It's so hard to convey emotion without them, though! But yes, this book and the discussion it is producing deserves all the smilies it wants! :D



Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:54 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:



Site Links 
Forum Rules & Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
BBCode Explained
Info for Authors & Publishers
Author Interview Transcripts
Be a Book Discussion Leader!
IDEAS FOR WHAT TO READ:
Bestsellers
Book Awards
• Book Reviews
• Online Books
• Team Picks
Newspaper Book Sections

WHERE TO BUY BOOKS:
• Great resource pages are coming!

BEHIND THE BOOKS:
• Great resource pages are coming!

Featured Books

Books by New Authors


*

FACTS is a select group of active BookTalk.org members passionate about promoting Freethought, Atheism, Critical Thinking and Science.

Apply to join FACTS
See who else is in FACTS







BookTalk.org is a free book discussion group or online reading group or book club. We read and talk about both fiction and non-fiction books as a group. We host live author chats where booktalk members can interact with and interview authors. We give away free books to our members in book giveaway contests. Our booktalks are open to everybody who enjoys talking about books. Our book forums include book reviews, author interviews and book resources for readers and book lovers. Discussing books is our passion. We're a literature forum, or reading forum. Register a free book club account today! Suggest nonfiction and fiction books. Authors and publishers are welcome to advertise their books or ask for an author chat or author interview.



Copyright © BookTalk.org 2002-2016. All rights reserved.
Display Pagerank